Losing Weight/Building Muscle HELP!

Options
Hey thanks for reading!

So here’s my goals and issues. I’d like to continue to gain Muscle while trimming some body fat. My BMR is approx. 1,670 Calories. With my activity levels (workout around 1 hour daily, 6 days a week), I read and calculated that I’d need around 2,600 Calories giver take. MyFitnessPal tells me to lose weight I need to consume 1,900 Calories (or less I guess).

The problem? Well, I’ve been tracking my normal diet the past couple weeks and it seems most days I’m consuming 1,300-1,800 Calories on average. I’ve been eating this way for a while. So if I’m exercising regularly, if my normal diet is quite a low amount of calories, why on earth am I not losing body fat?! Unless I’m miss calculating my food portions when inputting them in the app, but even then I doubt I’m THAT many calories off. I don’t know.

It’s worth noting that I eat pretty clean. I haven’t ate junk food in a while (as in years). The worst things I eat that could be considered junk food is Raisins (which when I have them I only have 2-3 mini snack boxes which is like 100 Calories combined). Or Crispy Minis which are flavoured Rice Chips. The worst thing in those is probably the sodium to be honest.

Besides that my diet usually consists of plain Oatmeal with a bit of Splenda every morning for breakfast. Lunches include Tuna with maybe a Tablespoon of Miracle Whip just for flavour and to moisten it (the Miracle Whip is probably the worst thing in my diet actually haha). Or I’ll have Eggs, sometimes scrambled, sometimes on whole wheat wraps or whole wheat bread. I need to find more variety for lunches to be honest. Sometimes it may be left overs from the supper from the night before. Which leads me into my typical supper meals which includes: Trout seasoned with Cajun spice and pepper, or Chicken cooked in some olive oil and garlic with either 1 Cup of Basimati White Rice OR I put them on whole wheat wraps with a bit of Ranch dressing and lettuce. Not often but sometimes I’ll have mashed potatoes with it and occasionally meat pie but that’s not very often. Sometimes I’ll have chicken stew. Sometimes I’ll have beef stew. And a few times a week I’ll make a smoothie with 0% Greek Yogurt, Milk, Strawberries, Blueberries, Kale, Honey, and Avocado.

That’s pretty much my diet. I’ll have Turkey a couple times a year too. So I have no idea what I’m doing wrong! I’m gaining Muscle somehow thankfully haha But maybe not as optimally as I could! And I’m strangely not losing any body fat. Any thoughts or ideas would be very appreciated :)

Thanks and sorry for the wall of text! I wanted to be thorough haha

Josh

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing everything you eat? The first place to start looking is usually logging, and if you're not weighing it's very easy to eat more calories than you think you are and it does add up eventually.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,106 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    It may be a little too early to know if you've only been tracking for a couple of weeks, however, if over a couple more weeks you're still not losing weight and you're gaining muscle, you're eating at maintenance or above.

cv2ndcbq6x2a.jpg
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    JSkeleton wrote: »
    Hey thanks for reading!

I’m gaining Muscle somehow thankfully but not losing any body fat.

Josh

How are you measuring that you're gaining muscle but not losing fat?
  • JSkeleton
    JSkeleton Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    JSkeleton wrote: »
    Hey thanks for reading!

I’m gaining Muscle somehow thankfully but not losing any body fat.

Josh

How are you measuring that you're gaining muscle but not losing fat?

With one of those body measuring tape things. I measure muscles flexed and NEVER after a workout, always before to make sure I’m not measuring a pump.
  • JSkeleton
    Options
    Are you weighing everything you eat? The first place to start looking is usually logging, and if you're not weighing it's very easy to eat more calories than you think you are and it does add up eventually.

I sadly haven’t. If I eat a chicken breast I’ve only put an average of 100g which is standard chicken breasts. Ironically though, the chicken breasts I’ve had lately have been smaller than usual. Rice I’ve been measuring. Oatmeal I’ve measured. The contents of my smoothies have to be measured cause I put a certain quantity in my smoothies. It’s mostly my meat I haven’t weighed properly to be honest. Snacks like Raisin boxes I scan the bar code and put how many boxes I had.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    It may be a little too early to know if you've only been tracking for a couple of weeks, however, if over a couple more weeks you're still not losing weight and you're gaining muscle, you're eating at maintenance or above.

cv2ndcbq6x2a.jpg

doesnt mean its going to be muscle gains in a few weeks. and I doubt in a few weeks it would be enough to cause a gain or the scale to stop. if you gain weight you gain fat too.
  • JSkeleton
    Options

cv2ndcbq6x2a.jpg

True enough! Although, even though I’ve only been tracking with the App lately, my diet has been this way for quite a while. I just hadn’t kept track of exactly what I was eating and how much. After beginning to track it, I was confused why the calorie count was so low! Haha
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Get a scale and start weighing stuff. I echo what others are saying about it being too early, but if after another couple of weeks or so you're still not losing that would be the place to look regardless.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Trying to build new muscle (the tissue, not just strength in existing) while eating at a deficit is a tough path. If you're looking just to change up your fat to lean ratio (bodyfat%) you might wanna look into working a re-comp.

An excellent thread was created and has been maintained by @usmcmp, and is definitely worth a good read.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

Something else that has been hit upon in other replies is the accuracy and validity of the measurements (method and devices and stuff) that are being used to evaluate where you are and how your body is changing. Allowing yourself to look and feel better may be a good initial approach to a decent recomp, and if you feel the need for accuracy, there are always DeXa scans to see what your insides are made of ...

• me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I echo everyone else in starting to weigh all your food. I just bought one kg of chicken breasts and there are 4. They look pretty average to me, a 100g chicken breast would be tiny to me.