Giving advice at the gym (okay or not)

Options
Ladies and gentlemen is it ever okay to give someone else advice at the gym? I never have and don’t intend to even when I see people (almost always guys) lifting the wrong way (ladies always use proper form) :)

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Nope, not okay.
  • augustfirst1995
    augustfirst1995 Posts: 20 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Only if the person seems open to the advice or asks for it. Otherwise no, it’s not okay. I mind my business and don’t really look around to even notice someone using improper form tbh unless i see something really outlandish... and even then I say nothing.
  • akiraherr
    akiraherr Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd be open for advice if someone randomly came up to me and told me I was doing things wrong...do you frequent a certain gym? maybe you can talk to the owners about putting up signs or guides to proper lifting procedures and workouts?
  • ssurvivor
    ssurvivor Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on (1) the advice and (2) your approach. If you see someone struggling, then they might appreciate your advice. But it might be wise to ask first and use terms like "easier" instead of "better." OTOH, unsolicited advice without context is almost always annoying. So unless you see something or the other person brings up the topic, keep the advice to yourself until the opportunity presents itself.
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Only if the person seems open to the advice or asks for it. Otherwise no, it’s not okay. I mind my business and don’t really look around to even notice someone using improper form tbh unless i see something really outlandish... and even then I say nothing.

I am the same way. I try not to look around, however I can’t help but smile when a guy is using his whole body to curl. Lol
  • cshern
    cshern Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this question/thread. I am a reformed advice giving junky. Now I "Just Don't Do It"
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    It's the main reason why I avoid working out with a one friend of mine. She spends more time critiquing what I'm doing then working out herself. I don't like it.
  • kb7202017
    kb7202017 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your gym environment. The times I go, I'm one of the only people there, so I never have. Having said that, I probably wouldn't because I wouldn't know how to approach the situation without sounding rude or like a know it all.

On the flip side, I personally would like it if someone told me I was doing it wrong and correcting me, I wouldn't want to be training wrong for months on end. That's just me though.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I'm used to coaches telling me I'm doing *kitten* wrong all the time. Always appreciate some good advice from a friendly mate.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    On the other hand, if the person is doing something dangerously wrong, like using a machine so incorrectly that they are going to seriously damage themselves, someone else or the machine, ABSOLUTELY tell them. It is better to annoy someone a little with unasked for advice, than have to call an ambulance because you did't want to hurt someone's feelings.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Nah. I have some buddies at the gym. Some of them I might feel comfortable saying something to. I made a girlfriend and we went out for a drink. I brought it up to hurt...really carefully, that her trainer wasn't correcting something that could injure her. I told her she didn't HAVE to take my advice but I just needed to tell her. She was totally thankful.