Need to lose weight!

Options
Hey everyone! So I weigh in at around 292lbs. I get so confused on the best way to lose weight. Especially when it comes to macros and counting cals. I’m basically clueless and really need help. Can anyone help me?? It would be so appreciated!

Replies

• FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    You came to the right place! It doesn’t have to be especially complicated. Enter your information accurately into this site and eat as much as it tells you to. Weigh and measure your food even if you “know” people tend to underestimate and think you can correct for that—please trust me that you can’t.

The more you move, the more you’re going to get to eat, so try to work some extra activity into your day. Exercise is great, but little things like parking on the far side of the lot and taking the stairs can add up in surprising and wonderful ways if you do them consistently.

There are no “bad” foods and no magical fat-melting supplements, and the right macros for you are whatever keeps you feeling relatively full and happy. You’ll have to tolerate some hunger, because you’ll be eating less than you’re burning, but if it’s unbearable just eat a little more, tell MFP you ate a little more, and see what happens over time. You can do this!
  • nuttyhayles
    nuttyhayles Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! So I weigh in at around 292lbs. I get so confused on the best way to lose weight. Especially when it comes to macros and counting cals. I’m basically clueless and really need help. Can anyone help me?? It would be so appreciated!

• nuttyhayles
    nuttyhayles Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think set a daily plan
    Use the diary on here
    What exercise do you do? What exercise do you enjoy?
    Prep and plan all your meals
    Accountability firstly to yourself and maybe to others e.g on a set day weigh in..on a daily basis say hi on here and let us see your meal plan for the day or post it the night before
    Quite happy to buddy up with you and I will do the same ( depending on time difference I’m in the uk) but we could work something out
    Look at it as healthy lifestyle changes and maybe just try healthy meals rather than macros to begin with?
    I’m in the same boat have had a real success with weight loss following slimming world but I’ve hit a mental brick wall but know I will do it it takes 21 days to form s habit so here goes the start of the 21 day challenge !!
    Let’s do this!!

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you just have to eat less, consistently, for real and for a long time! If you are willing to accept this as a fact, you're way ahead in the game. To be able to eat less, consistently, for real and for a long time, you have to do it in a sustainable way. Whatever you can stick to, is the best way. You need enough of a range of nutrients every day while sticking to a calorie intake that is below your maintenance level. Calorie counting is a sustainable way and a great help for many people, but not vital. If you choose calorie counting, you have to log accurately and honestly for it to work. If you weigh yourself, you have to understand weight fluctuations. You need to (re)learn proper portion sizes. These are the simple, practical things that are easy to correct if you get them wrong.

The more individual and complicated and probably difficult things includes emotional overeating and body image issues. If you need help beyond what the forum can give you, I do urge you to seek professional help.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Start by consistently logging every single thing you eat and aiming to hit the calorie target set for you by MFP. Macros aren't as important in general, at least not in the beginning. (the only one I keep an eye on is protein). The main thing is taking in less calories than you burn which leads to weight loss.

All the best.