How does one "forget/not want to" eat?

Options

Replies

• RA60172
    RA60172 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    When I'm not taking my meds (Wellbutrin in particular), I graze pretty much nonstop. However, when I am on meds, I really do forget to eat sometimes. Part of it is that that particular medicine is known to decrease appetites. Also, when I'm on my meds (I'm bipolar), I feel better and have lots of energy. I finally get around to all the errands that pile up and I spend hours cleaning, so then I often forget to eat. I never used to think I would become one of those people, but I did!
  • DmaMfz
    DmaMfz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think it’s more your lifestyle than anything. I know mine drastically changes the way I eat (for better or worse) if it’s altered.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    I only ever "forgot to eat" once; I was chest-deep in a 5000-word essay worth 70% that was due the next day. I was on a writing roll where the words were actually flowing and I did not want to stop and from the time I woke up (about 7am) had nothing to eat until 3-4pm in the afternoon. The only reason I remembered to eat was because I stood up to go to the bathroom and nearly ended up in a crumpled heap on the floor from low blood sugar. Oh, and then I snarfed the food down too quickly and made myself properly sick. That was a fun day. But I finished the essay with time to spare.
  • missevil
    missevil Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I only "forget" to eat when I'm totally engrossed in something, like playing video games or reading a good book. Something that really catches my attention and leaves no room for anything else. In any other moment, I'm thinking about food more or less constantly. So on a regular day, I would never forget to eat but have to stop myself from eating too often/much.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I've been on both sides of the spectrum on this.

This happens to me on occasion. Some days I'll be fine, but other days I'll get up, look in the fridge, and nothing looks appetizing. Basic biology: women's hormones spike and plummet monthly. For me, it affects my appetite big time. Usually it amps it up, but sometimes my appetite does a complete about-face.

As for how it feels, it's like feeling really bored or super depressed. Nothing looks appetizing. Like, someone filled the fridge with all the foods you hate when your back was turned.

Another way of putting it. Like when you're bored and you want to do something but nothing really appeals to you as something you want to do.

It's one of the reasons I track. That way it doesn't matter if I feel like constantly stuffing my face and all I can think about is food or if I'm looking in the fridge, my stomach is growling and my brain is saying, "Food. Meh."

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about.

But it's still not 'forgetting' to eat. It's deciding not to eat because you have no appetite. Usually when it happens to me I can get VERY hungry, and there's no 'forgetting' that feeling.. I'm very aware of it.

I guess that, for me, forgetting to eat implies either not being hungry, or being able to completely ignore (like, not being aware of) the feeling of hunger, which is a completely foreign concept to me.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,255 Member
    Options
    Meelisv wrote: »
    I don't have an answer for you, but I have always wondered the same thing. What also baffles me, is that the same people who say that they forget to eat or simply aren't hungry or say that they struggle to eat 1000 kcal per day, have somehow found their way here, because they need to or want to lose weight. People don't get to a point where they want to lose weight by barely eating 1000 calories per day. Still it's a story that repeats itself over and over again.

I used to eat over 3000 calories a day and be constantly hungry. Then I completely changed my attitude to food and found myself struggling to get to 1000 calories some days. It seems that a drastic change in eating habits messes with your hunger and satiety signals. This shouldn’t be as difficult for people to comprehend as apparently it is.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    vd29vjgbgce5.jpeg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    bribucks wrote: »
    vd29vjgbgce5.jpeg

I still don't 'forget' to eat when I'm depressed. I just don't feel like eating. But yeah, I suppose that someone who isn't obsessed with food the way I am and is depressed might actually not think about food at all all day.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    If anything I forget that I was NOT suppose to eat... forgetting to eat? Never. No matter tired, stressed etc.

Same. I will skip meals if I am busy but I make a conscious decision to do so. I think "Don't feel like eating now, I'll eat later" etc. I would never flat out forget.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Meelisv wrote: »
    I don't have an answer for you, but I have always wondered the same thing. What also baffles me, is that the same people who say that they forget to eat or simply aren't hungry or say that they struggle to eat 1000 kcal per day, have somehow found their way here, because they need to or want to lose weight. People don't get to a point where they want to lose weight by barely eating 1000 calories per day. Still it's a story that repeats itself over and over again.

This!
  • vermilionflower
    vermilionflower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't forget to eat, but my parents don't seem to care when or if they eat. Even when we go on family vacation, they don't know if we will be in the middle of nowhere at mealtime, with nowhere to eat, because they can just skip that meal and not care. I don't know how!
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people who just forgets to eat. Be careful who you are jealous of. Like you said, I'm here, trying to lose.
    I just have no hunger signal. I have appetite. Food looks good and smells good. But if I don't make the effort, I may go all
    Day without eating, realize I am way too tired, then eat 2 candy bars and a pint of ice cream while deciding what to eat.
    Sometimes I cook something healthy. More often, I am too tired and run to Sonic.
    And that's why I'm here, setting a mental alarm to eat regular, reasonable amounts of healthy good foods.

...sounds just like me!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I have never once forgotten that food is somewhere in my near future. Sometimes, while eating a meal I just prepared, I'm thinking about what I will make for the next one. Laying in bed going to sleep, I might be looking forward to breakfast.
  • lillyblack1982
    lillyblack1982 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was sick and I was so nauseous in the morning that even the smell of my bf’s food was making me want to vomit. Later in the day I forced myself to eat. My tummy got really squirrelly for about 45 minutes and then after that I felt much better. I rarely get this sick. It’s been 2-3 years since the last time. Under extreme stress (family member in surgery, just before a serious meeting with the boss, etc) I’ve had the same thing happen with nausea and not wanting to eat. It’s rare though, not something that would impact my normal day-to-day weight.

One time I almost forgot to eat— we had just moved into a new rental house and the owners had left their piano. I sat down in front of it and started tinkering around trying to figure out some songs and the next thing I knew 4 hours had passed. If my bf hadn’t called me over to help make dinner I would have forgotten. That’s literally the only time that has ever happened.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't get it either, but I can imagine how people would do that without having actual experience with it. I have days where I'm not very hungry, and days where I have one meal a day or even nothing, but I don't forget about food or stop wanting to eat it, I just got better at not responding to every single cue and learned to dismiss them sometimes. I also got better at not freaking out when I'm hungry if I need to be hungry for a large evening meal with friends, and my lower hunger days I still have to be conscious about my food because my eating isn't always motivated by hunger, so when I say "I'm not hungry" it rarely translates to "I don't want food". It simply means "consciously making the decision not eat is easier". When I'm playing a very exciting game, I don't exactly forget to eat, I'm just too involved in it and don't want to leave it to get food, it feels like less of a priority at the time, which is weird but I'll take it. I do eventually get up and eat.

Yesterday I ate eggs too many days in a row, and that usually causes me nausea and stomach pain for a few hours. I still managed to want and eat a piece of chocolate cake.

Now, how you go all day without food for a big meal at the end of the day? You just do. First couple of times are hard, but then it gets easier as you familiarize yourself with the feeling of hunger and it doesn't freak your out anymore. In fact if you watch closely, you'll see your hunger goes in up and down waves and you aren't hungry all the time despite what your brain is telling you. In fact after you get used to it most of the time you aren't truly hungry, except for that low level easy to handle feeling of an empty stomach and you're more aware of your brain's tricks making the memory for hungry moments more vivid and stretched out than they really are so you remember being hungry all day. It's not ideal, and I would rather not be hungry, but if the meal is worth some discomfort then it's worth it and I'm not intimidated by the process anymore!

The hunger I have a real issue with is when I have eaten but I'm still very hungry. If the meal isn't doing what it's supposed to be doing (making me less hungry) then I tend to overeat trying to get it to do what it's supposed to do. I can expect a certain delay for satiety to register, but if after that it doesn't happen I tend to overeat. That's why I make sure my meals are satisfying both mentally and physically. In some odd way it's much easier for me to not eat than to eat and not be satisfied.

@amusedmonkey ,

This is a huge issue for me too and very irritating when it happens! I'm still working on figuring out what causes it for me and how to keep it from happening & have made some progress but I still have a lot of work to do on that. It takes about an hour for satiety to register for me but if that doesn't happen, I typically just keep eating until it does and wonder why it took 2x as much food & time to get "full" and sometimes, even then, I still don't feel "full", which gets really irritating.
  • RecognitionT
    RecognitionT Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    buwsvedabujx.jpg

This jar was full when I started. The rest is gone now.

The consequences of emotionally irritated eating are absolutely insane.

+2 plates of pasta, a plate of beans, lots of bread with peanut butter, I think I've undone this week's deficit in one sitting.

I want to say I'm disappointed, but more than anything I find it hilarious.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't get it either, but I can imagine how people would do that without having actual experience with it. I have days where I'm not very hungry, and days where I have one meal a day or even nothing, but I don't forget about food or stop wanting to eat it, I just got better at not responding to every single cue and learned to dismiss them sometimes. I also got better at not freaking out when I'm hungry if I need to be hungry for a large evening meal with friends, and my lower hunger days I still have to be conscious about my food because my eating isn't always motivated by hunger, so when I say "I'm not hungry" it rarely translates to "I don't want food". It simply means "consciously making the decision not eat is easier". When I'm playing a very exciting game, I don't exactly forget to eat, I'm just too involved in it and don't want to leave it to get food, it feels like less of a priority at the time, which is weird but I'll take it. I do eventually get up and eat.

Yesterday I ate eggs too many days in a row, and that usually causes me nausea and stomach pain for a few hours. I still managed to want and eat a piece of chocolate cake.

Now, how you go all day without food for a big meal at the end of the day? You just do. First couple of times are hard, but then it gets easier as you familiarize yourself with the feeling of hunger and it doesn't freak your out anymore. In fact if you watch closely, you'll see your hunger goes in up and down waves and you aren't hungry all the time despite what your brain is telling you. In fact after you get used to it most of the time you aren't truly hungry, except for that low level easy to handle feeling of an empty stomach and you're more aware of your brain's tricks making the memory for hungry moments more vivid and stretched out than they really are so you remember being hungry all day. It's not ideal, and I would rather not be hungry, but if the meal is worth some discomfort then it's worth it and I'm not intimidated by the process anymore!

The hunger I have a real issue with is when I have eaten but I'm still very hungry. If the meal isn't doing what it's supposed to be doing (making me less hungry) then I tend to overeat trying to get it to do what it's supposed to do. I can expect a certain delay for satiety to register, but if after that it doesn't happen I tend to overeat. That's why I make sure my meals are satisfying both mentally and physically. In some odd way it's much easier for me to not eat than to eat and not be satisfied.

@amusedmonkey ,

This is a huge issue for me too and very irritating when it happens! I'm still working on figuring out what causes it for me and how to keep it from happening & have made some progress but I still have a lot of work to do on that. It takes about an hour for satiety to register for me but if that doesn't happen, I typically just keep eating until it does and wonder why it took 2x as much food & time to get "full" and sometimes, even then, I still don't feel "full", which gets really irritating.

It does, and I don't have an answer. It still happens to me sometimes despite making an effort to eat satisfying meals. I can even have full stomach but still hungry, it's weird. I think it's caused by satiety hormones not always functioning correctly, but I could be wrong.