Single mom, MBA student, & VERY overweight!

I've been chasing a weight loss dream for MANY years. I get started really good then fail, have a health scare, eat healthy then fail. It's a never ending story with me.

I have a busy life and I am always somehow taking care of others, but not really myself. I have turned to food as a friend, stress reliever, boredom curer, and now I am at the highest weight I have ever been in my entire life! In the last 6 months alone I have gained 30 lbs! I have constant edema, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and high cholesterol. At 273 lbs, I'm not feeling good, not looking good, and I am ready for a change.
This time, unlike the past times, I am taking it very slow because I don't want to fail. I am teaching myself that this lifestyle journey will take time so my calories are very high....but will gradually decrease them.

Anyways, I just wanted to say hello and share a bit about myself.

I can't wait to see myself a year or two from now and look back to see how far I have come!

Replies

• Marillian
    Marillian Posts: 3,892 Member
    Hello and welcome! Kudos to you for taking the steps to get to a healthy weight. When I first started this process two years ago, I had 150 pounds to shed. I've lost 90 pounds so far. Just a few tips I can share in case you may not know:

Having a lot of pounds to shed can be daunting and overwhelming, so try not to focus on the end number. Set small, attainable goals, such as 10 pound increments. Remember, you have to make lifetime eating changes which will become the norm. Find a healthy way of eating that is sustainable for the very long term.

Support is paramount. I invite you to join a group I am involved with for those with a larger amount of weight to lose.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3322-100-pounds-with-no-surgery

Good luck and I wish you the best of success.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Welcome to the forums. So proud of your decision to get healthier. Taking it slowly and gradually making changes is the best way to go.
  • tromorg
    tromorg Posts: 1 Member
    wow! thanks for sharing your story! i have a different problem with weight gain. ive spent my whole life tiny skinny twig, i graduated highschool weighing 88lbs at 5' tall. now im 29 with only 1 kid and i cant seem to get my weight gain to stop, 136lbs! i recently took out my Mirena so im hoping that helps. I'd be happy to get down to 120 but goal is 110.

i could never understand from your side of things as you have been trying to lose weight WAY longer than i have and i never thought i'd struggle this much. Its hard. best advice i can give is if you mess up your diet one day just try again tomorrow. if you get depressed and start telling yourself its too hard and you just CANT do it then you never will. keep trying and eventually it will be easy for you. you need to replace words that you say about yourself 'i cant' becomes 'i will', 'too hard' becomes 'challenging', and the best one 'i hate how i look/feel' becomes 'i will love how i look/feel'! just keep looking forward. its a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. if you don't keep your feet there's no telling where you will end up!
  • WalknYoga_Girl
    WalknYoga_Girl Posts: 3 Member
    Wow, thank you for the love And advice! You have no idea how much it means. The inspiration was needed!