Afternoon eating I keep messing it up!

Options
hope25
hope25 Posts: 188 Member
I work so hard during the day, and then blow it after work in the afternoon and evening. I ate a full days worth of food this afternoon. It is a cycle I have to figure out how to break. No am such a mindless eater!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Is your calorie deficit too steep? Do you spread your calories out evenly through the day? Do you eat calorie dense foods? More protein keeps me fuller and less likely to be hungry between foods.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Maybe planning out your menu and pre-logging your food will help? (I find it really helps me stay on track).
  • stephp1147
    stephp1147 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I totally understand!!! I’m trying to figure out how to avoid those pitfalls as well. Are you actually hungry when you eat all that or just bored/grouchy/needing comfort, etc.?
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals ahead. I know I'm always going to want a sweet treat on an evening so plan for it. I usually try make sure it includes carbs, protein and/or fats to satisfy me and fill me up too.
  • abirdintherain
    abirdintherain Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Night time eating is bad for me, too. I get hungriest and want to snack at lot at work and afterwards (I work second shift). A lot of days, I don't eat breakfast if I'm not hungry and eat a lighter lunch so I can save a few calories for later in the day. I always make sure I have enough room at the end of the day for a snack before I go to bed after work, because I know I'm probably going to want a pint of halo top.

It also helps to have a hobby, if it comes from just sort of being bored or stressed. I will read or paint or go for a walk - I quite enjoy going for a walk because then I have more calories earned if I'm actually hungry.

It takes some trial and error sometimes to figure out what will help. And the more you work through it, the easier it gets. There's always some hard days, but you'll get there!

I also recommend, as an above poster said, reevaluating your calorie goal. Sometimes it's worth it to lose weight a little slower so you can have more calorie allowance and lose at a sustainable level.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I log ALL my day's food before breakfast, including my dessert after dinner. That helps me stay on track. If I mess up during the day, I have to cut out my dessert and I hate doing that!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    That's why I so very much approve of having some cardio equipment in my living room. If I'm too busy to cook and eat, that's one thing, but if I've time to sit in front of the tv, I can stuff my face with food. So, I use my equipment while watching the tube. <-- note the geriatric giveaway.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Break things down into individual behaviors and habits. Instead of looking at this as an all at once, or all or nothing proposition, find ways to break things down into smaller and more sustainable habits. That makes it much easier to pinpoint where something is not working, and fix it, rather than staring at the whole jumbled mess of NOT WORKING. In this case you know aftwrnoon and evenings are a problem, so now you need to figure out EXACTLY why so you can come up with a work around.
    Log EVERYTHING.
    Don't JUST weigh (with a scale is best) everything you eat, also write why you are eating it (i.e, lunchtime, hungry, kind of bored, out with friends, watching tv) and how you are feeling right before, right after and an hour after (hungry, comfortable, normal, full, very full bloated, drowsy, OMG I am so damn sick of this crap I want to throw the whole plate out a window, etc).
    This gives you a baseline pattern for your normal habits and routine. From there, it's just a matter of experimenting. Does dinner leave you bloated and gassy? Try and see if there's something you don't mind dropping each meal (half pasta, or no cheese, or maybe only 2 tacos instead of 3).Are you starving an hour after lunch ?Maybe more fats to keep you going longer. Are you snacking during TV? Try air popped popcorn or picking up a hobby to keep your hands busy.
    It's amazing how quickly these small and easily sustainable changes will add up to big calorie cuts. Only cut one or two things at a time, until they become habit instead if trying to do everything at once. That way they become individual habits instead of one big "diet".
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I can think of two things that might help. First, budget calories for that time of day, and make sure you have a planned snack. Second, make yourself busy at that time of day, so you won't be thinking of food. Make that your exercise time, take a walk, play a game . . . whatever gets your mind off of food!
  • hope25
    hope25 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! You have given me lots of things to think on and do to help my afternoon eating.
  • Jo25369
    Jo25369 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Afternoon eating / evening eating is where I fall down too. I'm so good with breakfast and lunch. And as soon as lunch is over I'm looking for chocolate or crisps. One I get home and I have my dinner, even though I'm full, its like my 2nd stomach for all things sweet opens up and I'm looking for more chocolate and crisps. Knowing I have the pressure of going away in May for my summer holiday, and needing to 1-fit into clothes and 2- feel confident in the clothes, as well as tracking everything on here is really helping me. I plan the night before what I'm eating and when for the following day. So my cup of tea with 2 biscuits after dinner is logged onto it so I know I'm happy that I get my sweet treat after dinner. Its tough! Every evening is a success!