Maintainers - what was the most important thing you learned this year?

Options
13»

Replies

• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    To build in snacks of my favorite foods every day.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    All I learned was from Conan The Barbarian. "Crush your enemies! See them driven before you and hear the lamentations of the women!" Lol
  • slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I learned that I have more energy and feel better now that I adjusted my macros to more carbs and less fat and protein. Everyone is different, you can’t read this in a book, you have to try till you get it right for you, not what someone else works for them. Calories can stay the sane but macros can be adjusted.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Need to get my *kitten* together.
    nxd10 wrote: »
    If you don't exercise low calories don't matter. Losing is all about calories. Maintenance is about exercise.

And this. Absolutely can't maintain if I don't exercise. As much as I like exercising, I honestly hate the pressure of HAVING to do it every day though (but the prospect of having only 1700 calories to eat is worse).

To get enough extra burn, you really shouldn't need that much more exercise. I exercise every day because I love it, but I could probably get by with a 45 min walk if it was just about the burn.

Haha that would barely give me enough calories to make me survive, lol.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    slossia wrote: »
    I learned that I have more energy and feel better now that I adjusted my macros to more carbs and less fat and protein. Everyone is different, you can’t read this in a book, you have to try till you get it right for you, not what someone else works for them. Calories can stay the sane but macros can be adjusted.

I am like that too, 45% carbs feels on the low for me.

• daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    That "maintenance" involves doing what's necessary to maintain both weight and strength and is a lifelong endeavor.

This ^. I fell into the same trap as @djscavone, and I am back to needing to lose a bunch of weight. However, I am in the middle of IM training, so I have to maintain. Last time I tried to lose while doing high endurance I lost muscle and got injured. So I am just making sure to eat properly based on my daily caloric expenditure and have strength as a primary part of my training plan. If I so happen to lose some pounds while doing this, yay!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    If you don't exercise low calories don't matter. Losing is all about calories. Maintenance is about exercise.

And this. Absolutely can't maintain if I don't exercise. As much as I like exercising, I honestly hate the pressure of HAVING to do it every day though (but the prospect of having only 1700 calories to eat is worse).

To get enough extra burn, you really shouldn't need that much more exercise. I exercise every day because I love it, but I could probably get by with a 45 min walk if it was just about the burn.

Same here, 45min walking would give me an extra 50-60 calories max lol. Hour on the elliptical only gives me 250.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

Same here, 45min walking would give me an extra 50-60 calories max lol. Hour on the elliptical only gives me 250.

I am still trying to find a balance myself. I am hopeful that after a year or two of this, it becomes easier.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

.. that seems very low. I still get 200 calories walking my dog for 40 minutes (2 miles). I'm probably heavier than you though.