Need some advice/encouragement pls

Options
Hi All,
I'm new to MFP and need some advice. I've realised after recording my food and exercise on MFP that I'm not getting anywhere near enough calories.

I'm averaging 1600 calories per day and only exercising on weekends (2x week) which is nowhere near enough. I'm a 36yo guy, approx 130kg, 5'7" tall. I have a sedentary job with long hours.

I really want to make a noticeable change for a wedding I have to attend in early December. That gives me approx 4 months. My plan is to average 2000-2200 calories per day, 45mins non-impact interval cardio 4-5x week (2 more than currently) plus a Bodypump class or two. I have already started implementing this just recently.

Do you think its possible to make a noticeable change in time for December? Any idea approx how much I might lose on a plan like this?

Thanks all and good luck with your goals!

DJH

Replies

• jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    i can see a huge change if u stick with the plan, the 17 day diet is a gr8 book. good luck
  • Shabawan
    Shabawan Posts: 37
    Options
    Yeah blad ...u can lose a lot... U got time all u need is dedication...good luck :)
  • mike737
    mike737 Posts: 68
    Options
    Loads of time man, just go for it. Keep it consistent and you'll steadily slim down
  • fraktion
    fraktion Posts: 11
    Options
    Yes my friend. If you stick to that, you will lose! You should also incorporate some weight training with the cardio too. I'm currently doing similar, around 45 minutes cardio a day + 3 weight sessions a week, with some swimming and golf chucked in for good measure. I've lost 10 kilos in 6 weeks, my fitness has gone RIGHT up and i'm seeing muscle definition too.

Be careful not to get too obsesssed with the scales, the better way is to take measurements, like waist, chest, bicep etc, as you'll see more results and it'll keep your motivation up.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    By December?
    Realistically and the healthy way: 20-40 lbs (1-2 lbs per week).
    It could be more though if you don't get enough calories in but that's not the healthy way, you'd be "starving" yourself to get there and wouldn't have adequate nutrition for your body.

One note: If by "body pump" you mean one of those ridiculous classes where they have you constantly throwing around light weights at a fast pace then SKIP IT.
    You need heavy weights, low reps, slow and controlled. Build some nice muscle and increase your metabolism in the process. Those classes were designed for MISINFORMED women who think lifting heavy will make them "big". Mostly cardio while holding 3 lb weights, and they think they're accomplishing something.

Choose a weight that is DIFFICULT to do the tenth rep and nearly impossible to get in a 12th but you can squeak it out. Each exercise will be different, so no sense mentioning numbers. Deadlifts and bench press will be your highest, then other barbell stuff, then the dumbbell stuff.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    By December?
    Realistically and the healthy way: 20-40 lbs (1-2 lbs per week).
    It could be more though if you don't get enough calories in but that's not the healthy way, you'd be "starving" yourself to get there and wouldn't have adequate nutrition for your body.

One note: If by "body pump" you mean one of those ridiculous classes where they have you constantly throwing around light weights at a fast pace then SKIP IT.
    You need heavy weights, low reps, slow and controlled. Build some nice muscle and increase your metabolism in the process. Those classes were designed for MISINFORMED women who think lifting heavy will make them "big". Mostly cardio while holding 3 lb weights, and they think they're accomplishing something.

Choose a weight that is DIFFICULT to do the tenth rep and nearly impossible to get in a 12th but you can squeak it out. Each exercise will be different, so no sense mentioning numbers. Deadlifts and bench press will be your highest, then other barbell stuff, then the dumbbell stuff.

This is really good advice! I wouldn't bother with the pump class, do some heavy weights instead.
  • DJHolloway
    DJHolloway Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the advice. I like the idea of concentrating on measurements rather than just the scales. The Bodypump class I do occasionally is a full-body weights class to music using dumbells and a barbell. Its not light weights, you select how heavy or light you go. The tempo changes throughout the class so some movements are a real slow, full range of motion which gives your muscles a huge burn.

Anyone have good ideas for a good lunch to bring from home to the office? I usually get a chicken salad from Subway or bring in something similar. Unfortunately I can't stand tuna so scratch that

Thanks everyone I really appreciate all the help

DJH
  • fraktion
    fraktion Posts: 11
    Options
    Contrary to what some believe, Bodypump is a good session...as long as you test yourself. Then look to increase the weights. It's a good workout if you do it right.... Then you can try Spinning!

Weights are just as important as cardio if you're wanting to lose weight.

Gotta eat right too. Maybe try and have 5 smaller meals throughout the day to keep your metabolism going. Porridge in the morning. A Granary bread sandwich for mid morning. Chicken salad (no dressing) for lunch. A handful of nuts like pistachios or almonds in the afternoon, and a banana. Then some fish with veg in the evening. That way, you wont go hungry and have the energy to workout.
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options
    A couple of points:

1) The recommended calorie intake can be completely incorrect for many people. Your metabolic rate is unique to you and there is huge individual variations. You need to adjust your intake based on your own n=1 experience. Think you are eating too little, increase your intake a little and see if it results in a loss. I might get flamed for this, but the macro nutrient ratios will also impact your weight loss so you may be able to leave calories the same but adjust those ratios and see a loss.

2) As some people on here said, skip the intense cardio. Stick to weights, heavy weights, low reps. This flies in the face of what most of the health and fitness gurus will tell you but seriously, you spend 45 minutes, maybe burn 400 calories and then you're hungry as a result. Cardio has plenty of health benefits but as a path to weight loss, it's suboptimal. If you like it, sure go ahead, but don't expect miracles. It's 99% diet, do the weights to retain lean muscle mass, cardio if it makes you feel good.

3) You've tried the eating every few hours, snacking etc. Everyone knows you need to "stoke the fires of the metabolism". This is an overly simplistic model that makes little sense based on our biochemistry and from an evolutionary perspective. Try NOT snacking, see how it goes.

The key, IMHO, is to experiment with different approaches until you find what works for you. There is no one size fits all diet, and as most people who have attempted to lose a lot of weight before will say it's not just a case of "eat less and move more".