Couch to tough mudder?

Options
tldr; OP is out of shape and overweight and signed up for a tough mudder in 5 months.

Hi all !
So long story short, my friend peer-pressured me into doing a tough mudder despite the fact that I'm overweight and out of shape. I'm trying to lose as much weight as I can before then (SW: 225.6, CW 217.6) but I'm really nervous. I know 5 months is a great amount of time to make a crazy amount of difference in running ability, weight loss, and strength gaining - I'm just so nervous I'm making a huge mistake.
I do cardio every day for 30 minutes minimum (usually elliptical, I keep my hr above 155) and have started to integrate couch to 5k. I've found that the hard cardio I've been doing has helped with c25k, but my leg muscles are soooo sore every day from attempting to run - even just for the program routine intervals 3 times a week.
I'm also training upper body pretty consistently. Trying for every other day. My routine includes a pulldown, tricep press, chest press, bicep curl, cable row, back extension, and front pulldown. I've noticed good newbie gains here, but I have a long way to go.
Has anyone done something similar? What kind of a regimen did you follow? Does anyone have any advice in general?
Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    It's all about stamina and upper body strength. You don't have to run the whole thing. Go at your own pace.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Lose more weight and attempt the couch to 5k. It will be easier on your knees.
  • MessyApron
    MessyApron Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I took up running when I was about 200 lbs, and I had similar complaints (plus shin splints) until I changed my running style to a toe-strike stride instead of the heel-strike stride that I'd been doing. It meant investing in zero drop running shoes, and a few hours of research and a bit of practice, but it made a huge difference for me. Here's a book that talks about the stride without being boring or overly technical: https://g.co/kgs/ZXrEJm

I also found that building my leg strength with weight lifting made a tremendous difference in my endurance. Here's a link to a podcast episode that details exercises and other ways to improve running performance, if you're interested: https://tim.blog/2017/05/07/ryan-flaherty/

And here's another podcast episode that you might find topical, since the guest speaker is Amelia Boone, who is a top performer in the sport of Obstacle Course Racing, including the World's Toughest Mudder competition in 2012. She details her training and nutrition and all that as well as her mindset and experiences in OCRs: https://tim.blog/2015/12/22/amelia-boone/

Best of Luck; you can do it!
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Kudos to you on signing up! I ran my first Tough Mudder about eight months after starting to lose weight and working out. Are you doing the half or full?

Couch to 5k is a great way to go and get started, and the good news is you have plenty of time to complete it! Tough Mudder is so broken up by the obstacles, that distance isn't as important. I could only run about four miles when I did Tough Mudder and didn't have much problem with the distance, so don't feel like you need to be able to run 10 miles straight or anything!

As far as training, I would work on grip strength and lower body strength. Dead hangs from the bar, pull-ups (or assisted pull-ups), squats, lunges, etc. I had only started lifting about two months beforehand and only fell on one obstacle (Funky Monkey - The Revolution, I'm coming for you this year). Something I wasn't prepared for is how much of a team effort Tough Mudder is. There are many obstacles that are impossible to complete without the help of other mudders. The support is great. The other people on the course won't let you fail! Just train hard and have fun!
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! You can do it! I would suggest adding some squats with weights, some pushups, HIIT workouts, interval training along with what has been suggested. I believe interval training is incorporated into couch to 5k programs. I would also add foam rolling. Also, try not to lose weight too fast while you are trying to build muscle. Otherwise, you could lose muscle instead of fat.

The other thing that is important is your gear. The most important thing is the right shoes. I like inov 8. I like to wear as little as possible, and no cotton. I also love my tough mudder socks!

I do Spartan races. I am 56 and a grandma! I tell people I don't train to do Spartan races, I do Spartan races so I train! It is great motivation!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    You can do this in two steps.
    Step one; Start (you have)
    Step Two: Continue (You will)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Tough Mudder is very team oriented. There are elite level athletes and there are people 100 lbs overweight. It's all about the experience and slogging through misery. It gives the average person a crucible to emerge from - anyone who has not gone through a boot camp or similar trial.

You'll have more fun if you prepare now, but either way you'll have a blast and be looking for the next obstacle course race to sign up for.
  • Kohanai
    Kohanai Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    High Five OP! I just signed up for a Warrior Dash and a Terrain Race. First ever, so right there with you!
  • StarryEyed0
    StarryEyed0 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi, im around 220lbs too and started running around 10 weeks ago. I didnt use the couch 2 5k app but just did something similar at my own pace took me 8weeks to be able to run a 5k without stopping. I havent lost any weight doing it but then ive been eating over my calorie limit for a while (need to change that lol) my fitness has improved greatly! I run 3-4 times a week and do swimming in between. 5 months will givr you plenty of time to prepare for it. Just go slow is my advice doing too much too soon will only result in injury which will just give you more set backs.i learnt the hard way lol.
  • tcoed
    tcoed Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am doing the same thing. I signed up for a Tough Mudder that occurs in June about 2 months ago. I've dropped about 10 pounds so far and have significantly increased my running stamina, and am now adding strength training into my regime.

I am just now starting to use this site; if there isn't a Tough Mudder Motivation Community, maybe we should start one? Anyone game?
  • baybeecorbin
    baybeecorbin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    tldr; OP is out of shape and overweight and signed up for a tough mudder in 5 months.

Hi all !
    So long story short, my friend peer-pressured me into doing a tough mudder despite the fact that I'm overweight and out of shape. I'm trying to lose as much weight as I can before then (SW: 225.6, CW 217.6) but I'm really nervous. I know 5 months is a great amount of time to make a crazy amount of difference in running ability, weight loss, and strength gaining - I'm just so nervous I'm making a huge mistake.
    I do cardio every day for 30 minutes minimum (usually elliptical, I keep my hr above 155) and have started to integrate couch to 5k. I've found that the hard cardio I've been doing has helped with c25k, but my leg muscles are soooo sore every day from attempting to run - even just for the program routine intervals 3 times a week.
    I'm also training upper body pretty consistently. Trying for every other day. My routine includes a pulldown, tricep press, chest press, bicep curl, cable row, back extension, and front pulldown. I've noticed good newbie gains here, but I have a long way to go.
    Has anyone done something similar? What kind of a regimen did you follow? Does anyone have any advice in general?
    Thanks! :smile:

• baybeecorbin
    baybeecorbin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are off to a great start! I plan to do the warrior dash in just two weeks! I didn’t start training until about 6 weeks out. 5 months from now, you will have it in the bag! Just keep up your conditioning. It’s all about doing your personal best!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    1. You've got 5 months
    2. Figure out whether you want to focus primarily on weight loss or fitness building--They're complementary, but since you're just starting off having a single focus will be easier.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Go out there with the plan to have fun. You likely won't run the whole thing due to your own ability or those you are running with. THERE WILL BE HILLS. :D I've found that the obstacles in Tough Mudder are specifically geared toward teamwork and/or being adventurous. None of them are impossible. There will be people out there way more out of shape than you. Just keep going and have fun.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    As far as actual race advice . . .

Don't wear cotton clothing. Dryfit material is your best friend. You will be soaked and covered in mud. It dries quickly and falls right off dryfit material. Wet/muddy cotton is a NO.

Wear GOOD shoes. Yes they'll be covered in mud when you're done but that's what the garden hose is for. If you wear crappy/cheap shoes your feet will pay the price and the later miles will seem like an eternity. Plus you'll probably slide all over the trails if they don't have good tread. I've worn the same trail shoes through 2 TMs and 6 Spartan races. They don't get ruined.

TM race organizers go above and beyond to provide hydration and fuel along the course so carrying extra with you all depends on the conditions. If it isn't super hot then you probably will be good with what they provide.

You'll want a complete change of clothes for after the race and an old bath/beach towel. Take a garbage bag or two with you for the dirty stuff. Baby wipes are also your best friend. You can only hose off so much of the mud before you go into the changing tent aaaannnnd that hose water is usually ice cold.
  • Kohanai
    Kohanai Posts: 172 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Ya know... I've started prepping for these, and am super excited. But, I realized I can't wear my fitbit while running them. How on earth do we log this in MFP?

Edit, I did give it my best in searching through the forums. I saw 1 post about it being 2k cals... is that true?
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Good for you that you signed up for a challenge. I did a TM back in 2012 (at the tender age of 54 years old, lol) after I had lost about half of my extra weight. It was a blast! My son and my niece did it with me. The team aspect is a big part of the fun. Thinking back on the experience, my upper body strength was ok, but I could have used more aerobic endurance, since the event took roughly 2.5-3hrs and involved running or climbing a lot of hills. It was held at the Mt Snow ski area in Vermont, so lots of climbing. Therefore, my 2 cents is to focus on building your cardio endurance (not speed) and remember that its a mental challenge as much as a physical one. You will feel a great sense of accomplishment when you cross the finish line. Best of luck.