Visiting the Scale

Options
How often does everyone weigh themselves??

I weighed myself on Monday and am fighting the urge to weigh myself today (Thursday). How important is weighing yourself to you? What have you found that works for you?

Replies

• sebedina
    sebedina Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I find that I weigh myself every 3 days or so. Although I have one day a week as my "main" official weigh in day otherwise I will lose the plot. I recently discovered that I have a "trigger" food (WHEAT) so I am avoiding this and I weigh in every 3 days or so to keep track and this reassures me.

Some people prefer to go with body measurements. The liver stores glycogen and water so not all weight lost is fat. I notice this because I go to the loo more and i know this is the glycogen stored in water.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Daily weigher here - I like to track my trends on a weight app.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    twice a day ... once when I get up .. once when get home from work and get changed.

Seems overkill, but its taught me loads about what has an effect on my body ie

Causes of Water retention
    Salt, Sugar, Carbs, IF, Stressful day, Illness, heavy gym, energy drinks, lack of sleep, post lifting gym

Causes of water loss
    Glycogen depletion, bananas, greek yogurt, post aerobic gym

0.5kg rise in weight = probably good workout at the gym, 1kg rise in weight = lethargic slow workout in the gym, 0.5kg loss = probably poor aerobic workout but no change in lifting, 1kg loss = definate crap workout !

I enjoy the data
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I weight daily and use Libra trend app. Helps to see the trend rather than a random data point.
  • karsei01
    karsei01 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Mondays are often a bad day, because the food and activity level in the weekend varies more than the week days. I shoot for thursdays or fridays.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Daily - it's my primary method of maintaining my weight within my desired goal range.
    When I see a significant trend developing or I breach my upper intervention weight I take action.

Why do you feel the need to "fight the urge to weigh yourself"?
    Weighing frequently isn't a problem in itself, too much of an emotional attachment to the number displayed can be.

It can be very educational to understand your normal weight fluctuations under different conditions.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    weigh daily
  • sstuart5
    sstuart5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    sebedina wrote: »
    I find that I weigh myself every 3 days or so. Although I have one day a week as my "main" official weigh in day otherwise I will lose the plot. I recently discovered that I have a "trigger" food (WHEAT) so I am avoiding this and I weigh in every 3 days or so to keep track and this reassures me.

Some people prefer to go with body measurements. The liver stores glycogen and water so not all weight lost is fat. I notice this because I go to the loo more and i know this is the glycogen stored in water.

I would love to go by percentages (body fat/muscle/etc) because I know the scale is "just a number" and doesn't really paint an accurate picture of what's going on. But I don't have a way to measure that.. yet! Plus, I know right now, I'm concentrating on getting to the gym to do cardio and what I put into my body vs lifting. So, while I know my muscle percentage will change and go up a little, I think overall will be fat loss which I was hoping to vaguely track using the scale. Thank you for your input!!
  • sstuart5
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Daily - it's my primary method of maintaining my weight within my desired goal range.
    When I see a significant trend developing or I breach my upper intervention weight I take action.

Why do you feel the need to "fight the urge to weigh yourself"?
    Weighing frequently isn't a problem in itself, too much of an emotional attachment to the number displayed can be.

It can be very educational to understand your normal weight fluctuations under different conditions.

I never thought of it that way! Paying more attention on the daily and seeing how what I ate affected THAT day. I have always approach it as a "check in." Thanks!
  • sstuart5
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    twice a day ... once when I get up .. once when get home from work and get changed.

Seems overkill, but its taught me loads about what has an effect on my body ie

Causes of Water retention
    Salt, Sugar, Carbs, IF, Stressful day, Illness, heavy gym, energy drinks, lack of sleep, post lifting gym

Causes of water loss
    Glycogen depletion, bananas, greek yogurt, post aerobic gym

0.5kg rise in weight = probably good workout at the gym, 1kg rise in weight = lethargic slow workout in the gym, 0.5kg loss = probably poor aerobic workout but no change in lifting, 1kg loss = definate crap workout !

I enjoy the data

I can tell you have this down to an art form! If I take your approach to it and see it as a bunch of data points to form a linear line and research cause and effect on the daily, that would be a lot more beneficial then just seeing it as a single data point with broad reasonings. (Ex. I've been going to the gym more, so I lost a pound.)

Thank you!
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Daily weigher here - I like to track my trends on a weight app.

Same here !
    Happy scale is what I use
  • LaughHappy907
    LaughHappy907 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do it and track it everyday in a separate app - it helps me realize how my body actually loses weight and lets me see the trends. I find that if I give myself an inch - I'll take a mile and its very easy to convince myself of something that is not true if it means I get to eat more - but I can't lie to the scale, so it helps keep me motivated. I find that if I end up not wanting to weigh myself - I've been doing something wrong.
  • renovagirl
    renovagirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    When I was in the losing weight mode, I weighed once a week - Monday morning, always after peeing and before eating anything ;). Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I weigh daily (after peeing and before eating) and log/track in Libra for trending.
  • SandiTaylor63
    SandiTaylor63 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once every 2 weeks so I can hopefully see a pound or 2 of weight loss mainly because I don't want to get disappointed and eat out of frustration