Running with shin splints

Options
So I've been doing the couch to 5k program, and I'm in the end phase where I'm running non stop.

My runs have become very painful to do. I can do the run, but my shins ache so bad! I've been doing a bit of research, but there are mixed responses. I know I'm probably not stretching adequately.

I really don't want to take a break from running as I want to do a 10k in a few months time.. I'm pretty overweight so I know that puts me at much more risk of further injury..

Do you guys think it's a bad idea to keep running? What are your experiences? I really don't want to take a break from running, but it's becoming very painful and I don't want to screw myself over in the long term..

Replies

• tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I started walking at 285 pounds outdoors, the more i incorporated interval runs in my walk, the more my shin hurt, after a couple of months my shins adapted, they've noticably thicken so maybe that's why I can run now without shin splints.

Before my shin got thick, I had to change how I run, I found it was comfortable to run with my legs closer together, I ran with my legs slightly wider apart before that.

Lastly, I am 212 pounds so I weigh less and my shins take less of a pounding than before.

The shoe brand I've used is Champions brand, that's it.
  • fitness_goals_007
    fitness_goals_007 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for you comment. I did some research and found that helps as well! I tried it today on my run and it was much smoother. I think I am gonna do a rest day between my runs and bike and do strength on those days instead until my shins get used to it. I weigh not much less than you and I am hoping the lighter I get the easier it becomes!

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    When/where did you get your shoes?

You can foam roll or do stretching afterwards/during to calm the tendons/ligaments that cause shin splints. Although to be fair, the causes are many and various and vary from person to person.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Where do you land when you run? Heel strikers tend to have more shin problems, so if you try to land more mid-foot that might help. Also, shoes with more cushion in the heels helped me, as did strengthening my calves.
  • pompeyorios
    pompeyorios Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agreed with JMcGEE2018. I used to have the same problem and changed my landing from heel strike to mid-foot and the pain was gone. Landing mid-foot is more efficient running and less painful on your knees than heel strike.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So I've been doing the couch to 5k program, and I'm in the end phase where I'm running non stop.

My runs have become very painful to do. I can do the run, but my shins ache so bad! I've been doing a bit of research, but there are mixed responses. I know I'm probably not stretching adequately.

I really don't want to take a break from running as I want to do a 10k in a few months time.. I'm pretty overweight so I know that puts me at much more risk of further injury..

Do you guys think it's a bad idea to keep running? What are your experiences? I really don't want to take a break from running, but it's becoming very painful and I don't want to screw myself over in the long term..

There are a number of potential causes of shin splints, but essentially the pain that you're feeling is a result of microfractures at the front of the shin bone, and tearing of the muscle away from the bone as a result.

Potential causes include:
    • Inappropriate, or worn out, shoes
    • Over-extending your leading leg
    • Muscular imbalance between your calf and shin muscle
    • Overuse

What I would say is that until it's healed you're much less able to address the underlying problem. So take a break from running.

If you've been following the plan as designed, it's unlikely to be overuse. However your later comment suggests that you may not have been following the plan as designed if you're only now bringing rest days in.

Addressing the muscular imbalance can be helped with lifting, equally cycling clipped in can help. Toe raises off a step can contribute to strengthening the shin muscle.

The issue of trying to intentionally adjust your gait, as recommended above, is complex. It's very easy to end up giving yourself an alternative injury. What I would suggest is that you focus on landing your leading leg under your centre of mass, or as close to that as possible. That places a lot less rotational stresses on the lower leg, which can be one of the things that contributes to the bone flaking.

The key thing is to take a break until it heals, or you just end up exacerbating the issue.
  • gems74
    gems74 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Getting properly fitted running shoes from a shop that caters to runners could help as well.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    You must back off if you get too sore. You don't want the shin splints to become chronic, and that can happen. C25K is supposed to be self-paced: you repeat a workout as many times as necessary to accommodate to it. I took at least twice as long as some to complete the program two years ago and I'm still running a couple of times a week.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I had shin splints and it was recommended I shorten my stride running. This helped me a lot
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I had terrible shin splints. I took 2 weeks off, bought new shoes and am so.much better.
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    First thing I do when knee hurts during running is go out and buy new shoes. Cures my problems 99% of the time.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Another vote for proper shoes. I did 5K on the treadmill this morning and can feel it in my shins. My shoes have ~500km on them and it's time to retire them (I bought new ones over Christmas). I was holding out for the weather to improve (read no more snow), but looks like the weather isn't going to co-operate.

I learned this while doing C25K about a year ago. Shin splints kept me from running but as soon as I went to a running store and got different shoes, it solved the shin splint problem and I got back into it.

Guess that means I ran 500km in about a year. Going to do more this year for sure.
  • lilac_bunny
    lilac_bunny Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I did a charity thing in January where I ran everyday. I used the cross trainer to "run through" shin splints for 3 days. New trainers made a massive difference but so did having 3 days rest at the end of the month! I am aiming to run 5k but I'm just running twice a week now as part of my 4 workouts. I use a massage ball to roll the muscles at the front of my shins as well as a form roller for calves.
    I guess what you really have to decide for yourself is what is more important, protecting yourself from injury or the running goal? Taking extra rest days is not going to stop you reaching your goal, it might just delay it. An injury could stop you.
    I haven't followed couch to 5k. My trainer has encouraged me to do 30 second sprints (30s run, 30s rest x5) on the treadmill some days instead of a long run.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I did the C25K too and I remember I got shin splints when doing the longer runs at the end of the program!
    If ur shoes are quality running shoes etc, i would recommend you skip a day- honestly if you have been diligent with the program you might need one! I legit went from no exercise to this and my body ached a lot!!! If I got shin splints, I would do the elliptical, which is supposed to be great to cross train with, on a day I was supposed to run and it gave my shins the needed break! If you just keep running through it then it won't get any better. It's only happened to be twice but doing something else besides running for a workout gave me the time to recover! Congrats by the way!!