Avocado ?

Options
Does anyone knows about avocados being good superfood for diets?

They are high in calories at 207 each but had read they are good for you as they contain mono to help stop fat storage around your middle?

Are they a good food to include in a weight loss diet or would they be better for when you have lost the pounds ?

Can anyone shed any light or give any advice ?

Thanks ;)

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I love avocados and eat them regularly. Although they are high in calories (relatively) they contain good fats - which we need to eat to keep our bodies healthy.
    I don't believe there is any particular food that is going to get rid of belly fat specifically, I think a healthy diet and exercise will reduce overall fat and toning up you muscles will make you look trimmer around the middle.
  • gingermelv
    Options
    ditto above! I love avocados but only have 1/2 of one and have it with salad to keep the calories down. They are soooo good for you and your skin. Well worth the calories!
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    Avacado is a definate yes! 30% of your calories should come from healthy fats like avacado. Use it to replace mayo. 1/5 of and avacado is about 50 calories.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    really good fats, very nutritious.
    Make a good substitute for butter on your sandwiches.
  • pinknsassyemt
    pinknsassyemt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of Wholly Guacamole's 100 calorie packs, its just enough to mix in with tuna or chicken for some amazing sandwich salad, or on top of chicken breast. Good stuff!!!
  • Vixster71
    Options
    My husband & I love avocado and we split a small one between us in salads 2 or 3 times a week. Love the idea of using it as a mayo / butter substitute too! Must try that soon.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I always have avocado in my diet. Usually 2-3 times a week. When I do eat them, I usually only have 1/2 at a time. It saves me calories, and some money, as they are not cheap. It's great all mashed up and spread on a sandwich as a mayo replacement. Or mixed with tuna instead of mayo.