Fasting For 12 Hours Per Day

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Don't most people fast for 12 hours or so? I eat dinner around 8:30 in the evening...I don't eat breakfast until around 8:30/9 in the morning. Doesn't really seem like a "fast" to me...I'm still eating breakfast, lunch, snacks, dinner, etc and could most certainly and have most certainly gained, lost, and maintained weight eating this way.

I used to do 16:8, but I didn't know that was an actual thing...just never ate until the lunch hour...actually ate that way most of my adult life and got fat doing it as well.

IF is an eating protocol...it doesn't default to a weight loss deficit.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    mtoyia wrote: »
    Thoughts? Anyone Doing This Already?

“Simply sticking to a 12-hour eating window could be the key to losing weight without restricting calories

I stopped reading at that point. It's not possible to lose weight without restricting calories. Period. Unless of course you have some sort of medical condition causing the weight loss.

Anyone doing IF will tell you the same thing, eat more calories than you burn and you're going to gain weight. IF is a way of eating not a way of losing weight. However, used in conjunction with calorie restriction it is supposed to aid in fat loss. I'm in my 2nd month of doing it at maintenance level of calories and have seen no loss or gain. Whether or not it's helped overall fat loss is impossible to tell at this point. Takes more time than that. Just like any fad diet, if you eat more than you burn, you gain. If you eat less than you burn, you lose. It's that simple.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Don't most people fast for 12 hours or so?

Seriously! I mean, I actually don't, I eat at 6, noon, and around 9 most days, but I have and it didn't matter. It's far easier for me to eat lots of food eating between 12 and, say, 9 (a nine hour window) than just eating three meals spaced so I can eat breakfast and dinner at home.

Calling a break of 12 hours without eating a fast seems super weird to me.

When I was younger and didn't like having breakfast I'd normally eat only between around noon or 1 and dinner (which was often earlier than it is now, since I'd often get dinner at work).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I'd honestly say most people have a daily 12-hour fast due to sleeping.

That's exactly what i was thinking! Isn't this the norm for most people?

I don't personally fast per se, but i have my first meal at around 1pm and finish eating by 7pm. That's just my normal.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is a means to help with satiety and adherence. For some people it works well; for others it sucks. It's very trendy and all the fad right now, but there's no magic beyond the satiety/adherence aspects. Meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss - stick to your calorie goal and eat in a pattern that works best for you in terms of overall satisfaction and workout performance. Everything else is majoring in the minors.

You lose weight via a caloric deficit, not when or how often you eat.
  • vegaslounge
    vegaslounge Posts: 122 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I've been experimenting with 16:8 fasting (eat for an 8 hour window) since New Years. For me it's been more of a discipline thing. I'm bad with making promises I don't keep so sticking with a "I can only eat between 4pm–12am" is a challenge that I'm trying to uphold, to better myself for other life challenges not even related to weight loss. Kind of a daily Lent. I'm under no illusion that I'll lose more weight this way (and honestly, I naturally tend to bulk-eat in the evening anyway so this isn't too far out of my league ) but it's really helped in training my mind that I can actually set rules for myself and follow them. Important thing is, I'm eating the calories allotted to me that day. When you eat them makes no difference.

So, from my anecdotal evidence, fasting hasn't done diddly in how I'm losing weight, how my energy is, etc. I'm using it as a mental disciplinary device, and honestly it's helping me in that regard. And really, I think that's really how it should be used. Heck, the many religions that have fasting days aren't doing it because God is their Weight Watchers coach.

~VL
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,626 Member
    Options
    Before I started counting calories I would eat most of my calories at night.
    After I started counting calories I still eat most of my calories at night.
    Whatevs
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    8 of those 12 hours you're sleeping. I'd say something like 80+% of the population "fasts" for 12 hours each day. Doesn't really help them lose weight. At all.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,626 Member
    Options
    COME ON. Of course you walk to the kitchen and back to check and see if the food is on your plate and ready to eat!!! *SEE*, extra steps!!!
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Is it really "that simple"? no, but if you are going to be so closed minded that you stop reading as soon as something challenges your preconceived notions, you will never learn.

(from bulletproof interview with Dr. Panda) most people in the initial study thought their eating window was about 12 hours, but when it was actually tracked, more than half had an eating window of 15 hours or more. Also, he did get best results with feeding restricted to an 8-9 hour window, but even 12 hours was enough to see some positive results.

However, in the mice studies, ALL ELSE WAS EQUAL, same exact diet and same exact calorie intake, the group with TIME Restricted eating to 8 or 9 hour window DID NOT GET OVERWEIGHT, while the group that was allowed to eat throughout the day and evening GOT FAT or if they both groups started as fat, the time restricted group LOST WEIGHT. SAME CALORIES, same environment, same exact food type. This is the data from actual scientific studies with control groups.

I would say that @tirowow may be moving in the right direction:
    The study didn't logged the calories the mice burned so I'm skeptical of their findings lol. Me thinks the restricted mice group we're generally hungrier and move about more subconsciously in the cage as the survival/hunting instinct for sustenance kicked in while the ones who had access for food just laze about so they were fatter.

Bingo! Same calories in, but more calories burned, *DOES* fit the standard CICO equation. And this is exactly what was observed: the "hungry" mouse IS more active: "that is exactly we see even in these mice and rats. They become more active towards the end of their fasting cycle, and they go look for food even an hour or two before they're supposed to get food, they will get up and then start looking around." (also from bulletproof interview with Dr. Panda) So here's the thing, they weren't Forcing the mice to do a certain amount of daily exercise, so that was not considered as a "requirement" within the study. But they did notice the time-restricted mice had better muscle mass and performed better on physical tests.

And there is a correlation to human studies. This makes people FEEL BETTER, sleep better, more energetic, therefore: more active & burning more calories, though officially there is no specific requirement to do so. His mom is a good example, she was going for daily walks before starting, but after a couple months of time restricted eating, she just felt better and WANTED to take longer walks.

and, just to play devil's advocate, it was also observed in human studies that when they cut ALL evening food, people just skipped calories that typically came from drinking alcohol, desserts and late night snacks without replacing them with more calories during the day. With a restricted eating schedule, the participants in the study were told not to count calories or restrict food intake other than through time, but they still ended up eating less, so less time = fewer calories = lose weight.

here's my reference if you're interested: https://blog.bulletproof.com/satchin-panda-part-2/

Intriguing AF! This explains why I rather workout on an empty stomache than when full and suppose to be full of energy. I just wanted to hunt food all this time
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever you like within whatever time frime you want. It comes down to CICO. Every. Single. Time.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I practice intermittent fasting out of personal preference. My window is 1pm-10pm although I'm not strict on closing it; I've eaten in bed plenty of times.

It comes down to calories in and calories out. I had this same feeding schedule when I was 240lbs and now at 155lbs. It's literally ONLY about calories.
  • Jermanator
    Jermanator Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I'd honestly say most people have a daily 12-hour fast due to sleeping.

That's exactly what i was thinking! Isn't this the norm for most people?

I don't personally fast per se, but i have my first meal at around 1pm and finish eating by 7pm. That's just my normal.

My eating habits are exactly the same way. I have had absolutely no issues gaining weight with that routine either.