Has anyone else experienced this?

Options
About two months ago I almost entirely gave up refined and added sugars. Not for weight loss (though it doesn't hurt) but because I've reliably identified high quantities of added sugar as a migraine trigger.

Over the past couple of weeks I've noticed things like many fruits, and sweet potatoes now taste SUPER sweet to me. Almost too much so! I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this after cutting additional sugar out of their daily diet?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much added/refined sugar but I used to be a big soda guy. Fruits do taste sweeter to me than they used to, but not too sweet...just about perfect.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    This is common. I'm pleased to read that you've found some relief from migraines.
  • ceolyn
    ceolyn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes... I did whole 30 few months back and eating an apple felt like eating a chocolate bar.

I used to cut down apples and bananas, mix in some almond butter and sprinkle it with dry coconut flakes as a reward after an extra hard workout.

Oooh, that sounds super tasty with apples. I do love me some almond butter on apples.
  • ceolyn
    ceolyn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is common. I'm pleased to read that you've found some relief from migraines.

Good to know. I had some roasted sweet potato with my lunch today and WHOA it seemed so sweet.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Once I acclimated to less sugar, it didn't take as much sugar to make something taste sweet to me.

This is why it drives me nuts when companies come out with "reduced sugar" versions of products and then, rather than just reducing the sugar with no other changes, bolster the sweetness with artificial sweeteners. :s They still want to "out sweet" the competition.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options
    I think it's not unusual to find that highly-processed sweets tend to start to taste too simple/too sweet after avoiding them in favor of fruits and such for a time, so what you experienced doesn't surprise me.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Nothing tastes too sweet to me, not even sweets, but all "real" foods taste more, more diverse, more exciting, and better, after I cut down dramatically on sweets and added sugar. I eat more things without any added sugar, and I need less added sugar on/in the things I still add it to.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Me too! Fruits and some vegetables are so much sweeter after doing Whole30. This was a surprise when it happened (and yummy, too).