Daily totals question - very low fat diet

Options
I had my gallbladder removed a year ago and since then my body has been able to tolerate next to no fat without giving me bloating and an upset stomach. I take medication but I still find the only way to stop the problem is to keep a low amount of fat in my diet. MFP gives me an allowance of 40g fat but on average I use below 15g - quite easy on a vegan diet. As a result of this the majority of days I end up with a total for protein and carbs which is over my allowance.

I'm assuming that for me to eat the correct number of calories without eating much fat I have to go over the carbs or protein allowance but does it matter which ones I go over? Is there an amount I should increase each to to compensate for the lack of fat or should I just let whatever happens happen? To some extent I still want to keep track and make sure that my diet isn't overly carb heavy.

Any advice or opinions would be great.

Squeak

Replies

• ianh5979
    ianh5979 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    if you go to goals then change goals and custom goals you can change the fat content which will adjust the other 2. I changed mine fron 55% carb, 15% protein, 30% fat to 55:20:25
  • squeak1989
    Options
    Thankyou, I never realised that was there.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, too, and stopped tracking carbs. I think that watching carbs on a low-fat vegan diet would not work. But that's my opinion based on personal trial and error. Good luck to you!
  • jinglebellz
    jinglebellz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm pre-op gallbladder surgery (just found out) and having surgery on Sept 14. Meanwhile I've been advised to reduce my fat intake. So, I have. They put me on a liquid diet for two days after the attack, then I was supposed to gradually add food. End result at the moment (more than a week later), is that I can't seem to push myself above 850 calories, which I know is not good for me. Yesterday I had three solid meals and some snacks - even 3/4 cups of low fat ice cream. I ended with only 9 grams of fat, and only 838 calories. I don't know how I can eat more, I'm not hungry enough. I don't know how many grams of fat they had in mind when they said to reduce my fat intake. I'm so paranoid of the pain coming back, that I'm just trying to avoid it where ever possible.

Suggestions anyone?