HELP! I need to go from 27% Body Fat to 17%!

apmunozh
apmunozh Posts: 5 Member
edited February 2018 in Motivation and Support
Hi! I just got a 3D body scan and my fat ratio is at 27%.
I need to drop down to 17% in 3-4 months. I would like support in figuring out my macros.
BMR is 1457
BMI is 24.5
Current Weight: 148lbs (39.1lbs of fat)
Goal: I'd like to lose 25lbs of fat and gain muscle

I am currently a clean eater, low carb paleo and ready to hit the gym and do spin and circuit training. Thank you for your support !

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    3 to 4 months isn't enough time as you don't have much to lose weight wise going by your bmr. What's the rush?

It doesn't matter what kind of eater you are, being in calorie deficit consistently leads to fat loss. 0.5 to 1lb per week is a healthy aim when you don't have much weight to lose.
  • apmunozh
    Hi, thank you but being in too much of a calorie deficit also stalls my weight loss.
    The rush is that I feel terrible right now.
  • williebeamin
    williebeamin Posts: 5 Member
    @apmunozh what’s ur wrk out schedule?
  • apmunozh
    @williebeamin I've just started a new program where I will go in at least 5x per week to an hour of spinning or circuit training.

Is there something you recommend more?
    Thanks!

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    27% isn't terrible, and 17% is often on the lowest end of normal, if not slightly underweight, so I personally would suggest aiming at 20% instead, just to be on the healthier side.
    In your case, I wouldn't worry as much about losing quickly, since you also want to gain muscle. It would probably be better to concentrate on the excercises, and maybe add some lifting. As the muscle builds, the fat will go away as long as you are eating at a healthy rate.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Why?
  • apmunozh
    @sardelsa thank you for you comment, its super helpful!

I will eat in a calorie deficit without going lower than my BMR.
    Add some resistance training. Should I still be doing spin?
    I think I will try the following macros: 15% Carbs (54g) / 25% Protein (91g) / 60% Fat (97g) <- does that sound pretty good?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    apmunozh wrote: »

I think I will try the following macros: 15% Carbs (54g) / 25% Protein (91g) / 60% Fat (97g) <- does that sound pretty good?

That sounds horrible to me, personally. 15% carbs would make me cry.

If it works for you, go for it. If you find yourself freaking out and binging, maybe try a different macro split. 40c/30p/30f is a nice basic starter split.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    I honestly can't imagine having enough energy to workout on 15% carbs (remember, voluminous vegetables are good complex carbs!).

I do endurance cardio and don't really know anything about high-fat diets, so I'm coming from a certain perspective. The one thing I would recommend is definitely up your protein to at least 30%. Mine is at 27-30%, with a lot of fats cut out, but that's only because my carbs are 55% (I usually eat while working out). Protein will help you build muscle, increasing your metabolism over time. I really can't imagine you'd need anywhere close to that much fat.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    One thing I'll also warn you about is, be very careful if you're going from 0 to 100. Whenever anyone I've known --myself included-- has hammered any new exercise (spinning, running, etc.), the body is very prone to injury. I'd highly recommend cross training and make sure you foam roll *at least every other day.*
  • apmunozh
    @quiksylver296 @goatg I've been low carb for about 3 years at about 20-25%
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

Is that good for you, maybe. I wouldn't be able to do that low carb, my lifting sessions and energy would suffer. If you feel best on low carb, go for it..try it out and see how you do.
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited February 2018
    Hi, thank you but being in too much of a calorie deficit also stalls my weight loss.

No it doesn't, starvation mode is a myth and this has been proven in studies over and over again. You likely don't drink enough water so your body holds onto it when you are in a calorie deficit.

Macros mean nothing for fat loss. All you need to do is count calories, it doesn't matter if those calories come from chocolate or apples.

I don't know if you're male or female, but for female 17% BF is just not realistic - top female athletics hover around there. So unless you plan on fitness being your #1 goal in life, it probably won't be achievable. 21-24% is very good.

Attempting to lose 25 pounds in 3-4 months, when your BMI is already 24, is also setting yourself up to a nearly impossible task. Set realistic goals. You seem to have much to learn so I suggest lurking these forums for a bit.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    tyrindor wrote: »

No it doesn't, starvation mode is a myth and this has been proven and tested over and over again.

Macros mean nothing for weight loss. All you need to do is count calories, it doesn't matter if those calories come from chocolate or apples.

Good luck losing 25 pounds in 3-4 months if your BMI is already 24. You are setting yourself up to a nearly impossible task which will likely result in giving up. Set realistic goals. You seem to have much to learn so I suggest lurking these forums for a bit.

The thing is, OP wants to reduce her body fat and change her body composition.. for that macros matter
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Yes, but overall health is also an issue to consider. Ideally, she will be living in her body for many years too come. Why rush the process? Getting there more slowly is still means that she can reach her goal without starving herself, overdoing her exercise, and ending up quitting in frustration.
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    -Fat loss is 80% diet. Get your diet on first. then add working out.
    -Chose one goal, loose fat first then gain mass. Yes its possible to do it at the same time and if you are lifting and eating enough protein but lets not complicate things anymore. There is a reason you hear about cutting phases and bulking phases.
    -WEIGHT LIFT. Spinning and all this high cardio wont with your goal of gaining mass or keeping the lean body mass you have now, weightlifting is a great fat burner as it has a much longer after burn. There is nothing wrong with doing them but keep your high cardio sessions less than an hour because anymore of that will put your body in a catabolic state and burn hard earned muscle. You don't need to be at the gym for any longer than hour a day.
    -Figure out what your protein needs are to keep the lean mass you have now. Depending on who you are, what you do for work, and what your typical day is lie the necessary protein is usually about 0.8g/lb to 1g/lb. of lean muscle mass. So for you it would be 148 - 39 = 109 lbs of lean mass x 0.8 = 87.2 grams to 109 grams.