How will I lose weight on 1200? My BMR is only 1274

MFP states that in order to lose my desired 2lbs a week I need to eat 1200 calories per day. I have been eating this (and exercising) for 3 weeks now and don't seem to have lost any weight. I've been mostly eating back my exercise calories but not every day.

Before doing this I was hardly doing any exercise and eating way too many calories every day so I expected to see a shift. I've had my thyroid checked a few months back and all was ok.

What's the score? Any ideas?

Replies

• bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Are you getting enough water? sleep?

Your body could be adjusting to the new activity... and maybe even holding onto water to repair muscle. Keep at it and you should see positive changes soon!
  • alanaosu
    alanaosu Posts: 85 Member
    I drink at least 3 pints of water a day (more when exercising) and I'm on the toilet every 90 mins or so. I'm pretty sure my hydration is ok. I also tend to get a good 7 hours sleep per night and generally go to bed at the same time. I'm stumped!

My waist is slightly smaller but I think that's due to the muscles being more toned than previously. The rest of my clothes is fitting the same so I don't believe I've lost mass. In other words my size 10 jeans are still tight!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    You don't have much to lose. Shooting for 2 pounds per week isn't really a good idea when you're close to your goal weight. Try easing up to a pound a week and try to do a little better at eating most of your exercise calories back. I've had to do these things, myself, and I saw some success. I've actually been bouncing around within a 5 pound range for a little while, so I'm going to try to eat around 50 grams of carbs each day for a week or two and see if that shakes things up a bit for me.

ETA: 3 pints of water is only 6 cups, it's not really that much. As long as you are drinking other things (non-alcoholic), you should be fine, but you definitely have some room to up your water intake.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    According to your ticker, it looks like you don't have lots of weight to lose....around 13 pounds, right? Given the small amount, trying to lose 2 lbs per week may not be realistic. Those last pounds are always the hardest to lose, and your body will try to hang on to them! You might want to experiment by changing your goal to 1 lb a week for now....which should give you more calories to eat. I know it seems counterintuitive to eat MORE but if you follow the message boards, many times that is exactly what it takes! Just make sure that you're providing your body with good healthy foods. Also - FYI - Everything I've read so far seems to indicate that for the last 10 pounds you should set MFP to lose just 1/2 pound a week. Good luck!
  • alanaosu
    Thanks. I'll try that. I haven't actually lost anything yet! I just gained the 13lbs over the past year or so and am now trying to shift at least 10 of it again! I was starting to think that maybe I have to accept getting old and big around the middle! Lol!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Thanks. I'll try that. I haven't actually lost anything yet! I just gained the 13lbs over the past year or so and am now trying to shift at least 10 of it again! I was starting to think that maybe I have to accept getting old and big around the middle! Lol!
    Never accept mediocrity! :laugh: I've had to really fight for my weight loss this time, but I'm going to keep right on fighting until the bitter end! If it takes me 6 more months to figure out the "magic formula" for my own weight loss, so be it, I'll get it eventually.
  • doinme2011
    doinme2011 Posts: 42 Member
    I am in the same boat that you are in. I am needing to lose about 10 pounds. I exercise 6 days a week and burn between 800-1000 calories a day. i am taking in no more than 1200 calories a day. should i be eating those calories that i am burning also? the scale is not moving but my trainer says it is because i am gaining muscle. i can see some difference in my body but no weight loss. i guess the biggest question for me is should i be taking those calories that i burned back in. that seems like it would defeat the purpose of even exercising if i am going to just take them all back in. thanks to anyone who can help with this
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Actually, you may want to shoot for only a 1/2 pound a week weight loss. The closer you are to goal, the smaller the weekly loss goal should be.
  • jeffsgal105
    jeffsgal105 Posts: 195 Member
    My friend, who checked out MFP under my name, told me I wasn't consuming enough calories. I thought he was crazy. He said I was putting my body into starvation mode and it wouldn't allow me to lose weight. He isn't here right now, I may not have said that correctly, but maybe that is whats happening with you (?) I probably shouldn't say anything unless I have facts to back it up, but just thought I'd pass along what was told to me. :)
  • jeffsgal105
    jeffsgal105 Posts: 195 Member
    Well, going through the posts I saw this. It might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/311959-the-big-1200-vs-1500-calorie-debate
  • alanaosu
    Thanks for the help so far everyone!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I am in the same boat that you are in. I am needing to lose about 10 pounds. I exercise 6 days a week and burn between 800-1000 calories a day. i am taking in no more than 1200 calories a day. should i be eating those calories that i am burning also? the scale is not moving but my trainer says it is because i am gaining muscle. i can see some difference in my body but no weight loss. i guess the biggest question for me is should i be taking those calories that i burned back in. that seems like it would defeat the purpose of even exercising if i am going to just take them all back in. thanks to anyone who can help with this

you need to eat more... your body is surviving on about 200 cals a day so its clinging to every bit of weight it can, thats why you cant lose.
  • MichelleF81
    MichelleF81 Posts: 98 Member
    Are you calculating your exercise calories correctly? Don't always trust the figures that MFP give out.....do your own research and check them. Also make sure you're weighing your food and not underestimating calories there. Otherwise it could be as others have said....water retention, muscle mass, adjustment period. Just don't give up and you'll start to notice results. :)
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Eat your exercise calories! Or, at least half of them.
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    It could be any number of factors. The type of food you are chosing to fill your calories with (if you open your diary I could have a look), other incidentals you may not be adding like drinks that you are consuming, dressings from salads or fruit and veg.

When I hit my first plateau, I swapped white for brown. White bread, pasta, rice for the brown variety. I also cut simple carbs from dinner 5X per week. No potato, rice or pasta and replaced it with roast pumpkin/sweet potato/mushrooms/zucchini/carrot/capsicum or a salad to go with my proteins. It worked really well for me. Stick with it. It will come off! You may just need to fiddle with the execution a little :smile:
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Change your goal from 2lbs per week, that is jsut not realistic if youhave less than 20lbs to lose.