Ladies topic - Period Heachaches

Hi

I have only recently become the victim of horrendous headaches before and during my period.

This has never been a problem i've had at any point growing up or prior to the last 6 months. I suffer very little other symptoms of PMT.

Nothing has changed.....pill wise its the been the same for years.

Just wondering if anyone else who suffers from these headaches, as i dont think its unusual, actually finds anything helps ged rid of them??

Sleep is pretty much all that helps me and even then getting my head comfty can eve be painful my temples are so tender.

Any advice appreciated and those that suffer will know that these are not 'normal' headaches.

thanks

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Just a thought but a few years ago I realised my headaches around the time of my period were food linked. I was fine the majority of the time but in the few days run up and first 3 or 4 days of my period I was intolerant to milk and caffeine (others too but less severe) If I avoided these things around TOM the chances of the "headaches" were reduced hugely. Mid cycle I could enjoy these foods/drinks without a problem but if I had a milky coffee etc during my period the result was almost immediate. They were not like normal headaches but not sure I'd call them migraines either. i was knocked sick by them, head was tender to the touch, they had me on my hands and knees a few times. Also watch that you don't give in to carb cravings during this time as carb over load can make for a headache
  • jenet006
    jenet006 Posts: 10
    Hi. I also get what I call migraines :explode: and I agree with catcrazy that most of the time it's also associated with the types of foods I eat or drink, caffeine being the main ingredient! Also, the less sugar I consume coming up to that TOM the less the migraine. Maybe eliminate caffeine and/or sugar and see how you go. Other than that...pain killers is the only other option for me. Good luck. Would love to know how you go.
  • Pinkmaddycat
    Pinkmaddycat Posts: 175 Member
    Thanks, i already routinely dont drink caffeine.....so i don't this this is it, however sugar a plenty i have had this weekend, could be linked also to the urge to eat this TOM.

Now i am on here and log my food, it might be easier to see a trend, but will avoid milk to try it
  • MichelleF81
    MichelleF81 Posts: 98 Member
    I always get headaches around this time too.....although doesn't seem to be on the scale you get them. Just a constant mild ache at the side of my head and behind the eyes.......especially before bed and when I first wake up. On top of the back ache, feeling like I've been punched in the stomach, adapting the emotional fragility of a small child and mood swings a bi-polar would be proud of its a pretty tough time for anyone within striking distance. Thank goodness I only have to feel like this for a few more days....lol. In answer to your question, I haven't noticed anything in my diet which changes this.....I just take ibuprofen for the headaches and aches and give everyone a wide berth. x
  • Hi,

I normally do not post on the forums but I feel I have to respond to this one because I understand your pain all too well!

I suffered from excruciating period-related migraines for years. The only things that would (temporarily) ease the pain were large doses of Mersyndols and cold or heat packs on my head, a dark room, and no noise or movement. Usually the migraine/headaches would last between 1 to 3 days.

About 18 months ago someone turned me onto a herbal tea called Damiana. It's apparently known for relieving menstrual symptoms. Now, whenever I start to get a period-related headache, I drink 1 to 2 cups of Damiana and the headache is usually gone within 20 minutes. Occasionally it will come back slightly 3 to 4 hours later but I just drink another cup of Damiana and it goes away again. Most of the time though it does not come back at all and within a couple of hours of drinking the tea I feel 100% again. If I'm good and remember to drink Damiana leading up to my period, I get no migraine or headache symptoms at all.

I can't guarantee Damiana will work for you the way it has for me but I sincerely hope it does.
  • Pinkmaddycat
    Pinkmaddycat Posts: 175 Member
    the tea is worth a try and thank you for taking the time to post!
  • make sure your iron intake is always at your reccomended allowance and you are drinking enough water. It may just mean you are dehydrated, as your body temperature naturally increases at this TOM.
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    I always get TOM headaches too. I hadn't considered that they were food-related, but I find that during that part of the month I am super thirsty and need about twice as much water going into me. The headaches are usually better after a few litres of water, which never happens any other time of the month.
  • I always get that miserable headache Midol works for it or any of those pms pills that are out I dread those headaches.