New here. Depression is a rocky road.

Options
New to this app. I've been struggling with anxiety, depression and CPTSD. which means I need to gain some control and being a food junkie doesn't help. Let's support each other! You down?

Replies

• brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I log in daily!
  • jjalbertt
    jjalbertt Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I have anxiety and depression and I'm taking Effexor xr. I have an open diary aswell if you need some food ideas haha
  • nic_27_grassisgreener
    Options
    Feel free to add me! Anxiety and depression here, recently gained some stability through therapy and medication. Best of luck, remember to be kind to yourself.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,681 Member
    Options
    Consistent exercise can help with depression and anxiety, especially if you spend time outdoors. Hike, walk, run, bike - they really do help.
  • Ravenslady73
    Ravenslady73 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm a good week in
    I suffer from depression, anxiety, and PTSD.
  • laura_in_love
    laura_in_love Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Add me :)
  • icanmovemountains
    icanmovemountains Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I struggle with similar things. I have bipolar type 2. Ive noticed that regular exercise is helping me manage my depressive episodes. Please feel free to add me! Maybe we could motivate eachother!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    New to this app. I've been struggling with anxiety, depression and CPTSD. which means I need to gain some control and being a food junkie doesn't help. Let's support each other! You down?

You're Not Alone. There are more people going though the same thing than you'll ever realize and you're way ahead of most by not being afraid to come out and say it!
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I too suffer from depressions- but I have made significant improvement though therapy and medication- also eating better and getting some much needed sleep- best of luck to you- and please IF you feel you can not handle this- GET HELP!!! I know I did!
  • icanmovemountains
    icanmovemountains Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    debtay123 wrote: »
    I too suffer from depressions- but I have made significant improvement though therapy and medication- also eating better and getting some much needed sleep- best of luck to you- and please IF you feel you can not handle this- GET HELP!!! I know I did!

Therapy and meds are gifts from the gods! I started meds about a year ago. Its been rough finding the ones that work but now im feeling great, balanced, and motivated! OP, Definitely see your doctor about medication and start looking for a good therapist!
  • rupshaw
    rupshaw Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Glad to help encourage and motivate! Feel free to add me.
  • vegaslounge
    vegaslounge Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hugs and support. I've had anxiety/depression most of my life and it is not easy. It truly is like having two people in your mind at the same time, the proverbial devil/angel on your shoulders. You know this isn't how you're supposed to feel but there's damn little you feel you can do about it so it's easier to give in.

I for one resisted even the thought that I could be depressed for many, many years. I'd never undergone any trauma, I had a happy childhood, etc etc. I felt I didn't deserve depression, if that makes any sense. It took a long time to accept that my brain chemicals just don't work the way they "should". I know this underlying issue played a part in why I was 150lb at 12 years old. I didn't learn until my 20s that both my parents, grandparents, aunts uncles EVERYONE in my family has had some kind of mental health issue. Being a Good Southern Family, nobody ever talked about it.

Depression is such a stigma. When my mother was dying of cancer last November, she accepted all palliative relief available– Fentanyl, Dilaudid– but refused any kind of "depression" drug as she had for her whole adult life, although she had major depression for years at that point. It was like admitting weakness. Anxiety, for whatever reason, was fine. She was cool with being anxious. But depression? Screw that. My father, hospice nurse and I actually had to lie to her the last weeks of her life and say a crushed pill we were giving her was her regular Xanax and NOT "depression pills".

I'll be honest, my personal depression/anxiety medication is only legal in a couple of states and mine isn't one of them. But, it has helped, and that's what's important...getting help. Talking to someone, getting on meds, just acknowledging that there is a problem and realizing there are ways out of it. Because there are. And you deserve it.

~VL
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you like I have Bipolar and experience highs and lows and take meds for it.
    Happy to offer support.