Binge eater - trying to change habits

Hello! I'm new here and am wanting change. I have been struggling with frequently binge eating for almost a year now. Binging has caused me to gain a lot of weight. I'm 5'5 and exactly one year at this time was around 115 - today I'm around 145. I have continued to exercise throughout this entire process and eat pretty healthy throughout the day, but when night rolls around...I often am unable to stop myself. I need the motivation to gain control of the cravings to eat everything. For those of you out there, how long did it take to overcome this? How quickly did the weight come off? I keep telling myself I will lose the weight, but I just keep binging again and the pounds are sticking.
Thank you for any help, advice, and/or support!!!

Replies

• goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

Google/Research it, buy the books, read, do the work.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Have you looked into therapy?
    I have a lot of trigger foods that I can not keep in my house. Mostly sugar. Cookies, pastries, chips, etc. These lead me to binge. Ive struggled with binging for years, Its still something I struggle with. I have slip ups often.
    Dont focus so much on losing weight, focus on eating healthy. Once you feel like you have control on binging, then you can start reducing your calories to lose weight. make sure you are eating enough, low calories will also lead to binging for me.
    Good luck
  • foliven
    foliven Posts: 1 Member
    Check out the book Brain Over Binge, it might resonate with you. It did not 'cure' me but it gave me a different perspective.

I was just logging on here to look for an accountability buddy about binge eating too, actually, if you would be interested 8D
  • loe_loe23
    loe_loe23 Posts: 74 Member
    For me, I don't have any emotional triggers. I just love food and want to stuff my face! I don't know how to stop myself sometimes. I've gotten waaayyy better at controlling it but I think about it nonstop.
  • amberkins
    amberkins Posts: 25 Member
    edited February 2018
    You sound very similar to myself. I used too eat super healthy all day long until I got home from work, then I'd start eating everything.
    I took up some hobbies last summer including puzzles. I have one on the kitchen table almost always as they keep my mind and hands busy. I also taught myself to crochet. Last fall I started seeing an eating disorder therapist. I hated it at first but now 6 months later I'm so glad I did! My advise is to reach out if you need help. If that isn't an option, remind yourself everyday of what your goals are, how completing them will impact your life, and why that is important to you. Write it down and put it on the wall If you have to!
    Best of luck to you, and feel free to add!