Any other shorties who shop in the children's section?

Options
I am 5 foot even and love a bargain. I often check the children's clothing area out for sales. I can usually fit in a child's large or extra large and the clothing is often cheaper. One thing that never occurred to me was to check for underwear sales...

A few weeks ago I was at Costco and saw a 6 pack of cute calvin klein underwear for $4.97! Then noticed it was for children. I flipped it over as I was putting it back and noticed the sizing chart. OMG they would fit!

Anyone else head over the the children's clothing area? What have some of your favorite finds been? Besides the bargain underwear I love some pj's I found - the print looks like a mummy.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of stuff from the children's department at the moment, but I do browse it often, and have no problem purchasing from it.
    Pre narrow leg and skinny jeans I use to always get youth boys jeans.

My socks are always children's, and most of my footwear, tiny feet.

Cheers, h.
  • darlibby
    darlibby Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes. I’m 5 feet even also and 95 lbs. I love old navy size 12 jeans. I also wear childrens underwear and tshirts. I don’t find the clothes cheaper, but the old navy jeans never need to be altered.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes but often find things too tight around my 'good childbearing' hips and thighs.
  • johnw83
    johnw83 Posts: 6,219 Member
    Options
    yes i do for shorts i am only 5 foot 8 and skinny some most cloths dont fit me
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I’ve often purchased sport team t-shirts in boys XL - usually 1/2 price of adult versions.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    All the women in my family shop in the girls section.....My Mom, myself and all 3 of my girls (teenagers & 20 sonething) Something's aren't cheaper, but it sure is nice not to have to hem pants.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I do sometimes but often find things too tight around my 'good childbearing' hips and thighs.

If the pants don't have any stretch it can be problematic for me too. Last year ankle grazers were all over the place. I picked up a few to wear as regular length pants.
    ryenday wrote: »
    I’ve often purchased sport team t-shirts in boys XL - usually 1/2 price of adult versions.

I have also noticed that athletic wear is much cheaper than the adult sizes!
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    i buy childrens shoes all the time..most of my vans and all stars are childrens 4s.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    i buy childrens shoes all the time..most of my vans and all stars are childrens 4s.

Hooray, it is lovely to meet someone with small feet. I have a lovely collection of children's converse. I almost got sparkly ones to wear to the gym at Christmas.
    SO offered to buy me Vans for christmas because I had been drooling and he knows how hard it is to find should that fit. I had to decline, I really don't need them, brave of me it thought.

Oh, yours are 4! Mine are 2 (USA/Canada)

Cheers, h.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Yep - all the time. 5'2" and I get all of my sweatpants/leggings in the youth departments - love Dick's youth department - the youth pants are the perfect length, they have pockets, AND they cost less than the sweatpants/leggings in the Women's department. Win/Win!
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 1/2" but have average feet: size 6. I don't routinely shop in the kids' department, but I have nothing against it in principle. I think I have a pair of boy's ski pants.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I feel like I need to shop in the children's section. Women's clothing is always too big especially tops and dresses but I can usually get petite pants and be ok. Junior's department is also sometimes too big.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I buy most of my hoodies, t-shirts and sweat pants in the boys department. I haven't found much of a difference in price in the girls department vs. the adult section but there always seems to be a sale in the boys section.

One thing I found interesting is I buy my everyday flip flops in the boys department (not the dressy kind). They are cheaper and built sturdier it seems.

It's kind of hit or miss for me in the juniors department - I have larger hips than most of their clothes are designed for.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and I shop in EVERY section. If I see something that looks cute and/or comfortable and is inexpensive, I'll buy it.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I try, but most of the clothes I need are for work, and unfortunately the children's/juniors departments don't do well in that regard. I do wear youth size t-shirts, and I have to buy kids' size hats and gloves. Apparently I have a tiny head and tiny hands.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I have picked up some lovely $10 cotton Oxford shirts from the Children's Place boy's section--whatever the largest size is now, maybe 14? I am 5'5" (I apparently shrank an inch over the last year, according to my new doctor's office) and just under 140. I do have to flip the cuffs but they fit well otherwise.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    I do occasionally. I have some leggings from Target's girls' department...size large...I wear them mostly around the house or to bed. Usually I find kids' sizes to fit a little boxy for my liking. Makes sense since they are designed for girls without much difference between their bust-waist-hip measurements. When I was in my 20s, I shopped more at Gap Kids and Limited Too...but now that I am in my late 40s, I try to go for somewhat more sophisticated styles. I've been known to borrow a hoodie from my pre-teen boys now and then (my teenager has about six inches and 40 pounds on me now). I do have a pair of youth sized tennis shoes as well. And some workout gear in a girls' large as well, as the fit is pretty close to a women's XS.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty straight up and down so I will shop for pants/shorts/skirts in the kids section. Shirts I don't seem to have a problem with as I have a long torso and long arms. Sometimes I'll buy boys T's though.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Now that all the sand in my hourglass has moved to my middle, I think shopping in the Jr's section could work for me! I have 34-35" hips, but my waist is 27". (Used to be a 25" waist and 37" hips during my thin phases. I have to dress very differently now.)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    I am short and petite but I have never been able to buy anything in the children's section, except for socks once in awhile. I have narrow shoulders but I am too busty, with a small waist and wide hips. Until my late 40s I was buying some outfits in the junior section, but after menopause my body shape changed and those styles didn't fit me any more. Besides, as we get older juvenile fashion doesn't look good on most of us.

I do better in the petite section of stores like Chico's, J.Jill, WHBM, etc. specially when they have sales.