Staying on track despite anti-depressants. Need tips!

Options
SmasherC
SmasherC Posts: 8 Member
edited February 2018 in Motivation and Support
The backstory: A few years ago I lost 40 lbs and felt great. Although I still had about 25 to lose, I was really happy with myself. Fast forward to a couple months ago; Because of some life events, I began taking a low dose of Prozac. I tried to avoid it for years because I knew weight gain was a side effect but my anxiety was getting the best of me so I decided to bite the bullet. I've noticed the medication has dulled my sense of "giving a damn," and sometimes I'll overeat even though I know I don't want to. I've gained 10 lbs so far and DON'T want this to continue. It's gotten to the point where I'm always going to "start again tomorrow," which I know is unhealthy thinking.

What I need help with: How do I stay on track and catch myself when I'm slipping into the not caring phase? What tips do you have for regaining and maintaining motivation? I'm tired of feeling regretful and upset with myself!

Replies

• icanmovemountains
    icanmovemountains Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this but it just takes time. Eventually you will get used to feeling hungry all the time. You'll start to notice the difference between fake, anti-depresant, hunger and REAL hunger and you'll be able to control the fake hunger. Im a year into taking meds and I still have trouble controlling my eating. I just feel hungry all the time. But i can tell that im not really hungry. I kinda say to my self "This is not REAL hunger, this is your meds).
  • SmasherC
    Options
    I hate to say this but it just takes time. Eventually you will get used to feeling hungry all the time. You'll start to notice the difference between fake, anti-depresant, hunger and REAL hunger and you'll be able to control the fake hunger. Im a year into taking meds and I still have trouble controlling my eating. I just feel hungry all the time. But i can tell that im not really hungry. I kinda say to my self "This is not REAL hunger, this is your meds).

You know, I've told myself this, I just need to keep remembering. I know it's all about getting used to how they work but when I'm feeling extra down it's hard to remember.

Thank you though for the reminder. It's really helpful :).
  • combsshan
    combsshan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Anti-depressents really do mess with your satiety signals. You might look into a different one, if Prozac really causes you problems (I can't take it, it makes me almost manic) My doctor has me rotate every two years between Zoloft and Celexa because you can also build up a tolerance to them over time and switching periodically helps there effectiveness. I've been on anti-depressants for 20yrs and can say that the weight thing will always be a bit of a struggle. You'll learn to manage it over time though. Counting calories is the big thing for me. I also pre-log my calories, that helps me to realize that YES I am getting enough to eat even if my body is telling me different.
  • SmasherC
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing! It's such a mental game.
  • Roger15Z
    Roger15Z Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I alternate Zoloft and lexapro for same reason, usually a year on one and a year on the other, been doing that for 2 years after being on anti-depressants for 7 years and struggling with weight gain for the first 5! Since I implemented that I've maintained a healthier weight and exercise regiment.
  • icanmovemountains
    icanmovemountains Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Wes15R wrote: »
    I alternate Zoloft and lexapro for same reason, usually a year on one and a year on the other, been doing that for 2 years after being on anti-depressants for 7 years and struggling with weight gain for the first 5! Since I implemented that I've maintained a healthier weight and exercise regiment.

Zoloft is literally the only reason I can get up out of bed and to gym. It was a literal life saver for me.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I just started Zoloft a few weeks ago after being on Celexa for 7-8 years. It's only been a few weeks and the dosage I'm on apparently isn't even a "therapeutic dose" yet but I have a follow up in 10 days.

Anywayyy make sure you track all of your calories. Maybe give yourself maintenance calories for a few weeks and just try to eat under that? Evaluate your diary at the end of the day and ask yourself if you really need to eat more or less? Were you really hungry and when? What adjustments can you make to the foods and serving sizes to avoid feeling hungry? Make those adjustments the next day, repeat :)

And like others have said, know you're not alone!!

ETA oh and of course, don't beat yourself up over eating too much or little :) that doesn't help!
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I’m struggling with this as well. I gained over 50lbs in the past year on remeron and Celexa. Mainly from the Remeron. They give it to ANOREXICS to help spark their appetite. I was already morbidly obese before I started taking it. It’s a MESS. I have an appointment with a psychiatrist in March and I’m going to beg him to put me on something else, because it’s IMPOSSIBLE for me to lose weight while taking this medication. My quality of life has gone down the drain from gaining so much weight. But I NEED something to help me sleep because I am a severe insomniac. I’m really stuck between a rock and a hard place.
  • tyranapookysaurus
    tyranapookysaurus Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on Zoloft but all antidepressants I've ever taken seem to break my give a damn button. To fix that I started doing yoga. It not only centers me for the day, but it allows me to feel good about myself. Also, in my personal experience, I don't get nearly as stressed about random things at work and I'm not nearly as aggravated at the stupid questions that find me.
  • ChrisManch
    ChrisManch Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was on Mirtazapine (Remeron) and it turned me into a munch monster. Gained 24lbs. A friend said he gained 22lbs. Vets prescribe it to anorexic cats and dogs to get them to gain weight. I spoke to my GP and changed to Duloxetine ( Cymbalta ) and my food cravings stopped immediately. I've since lost all the gained weight. Antidepressants work differently for different people and sometimes you need to try a few (with the advice of your medical practitioner) before you find one that suits you.