Pedometers

I bought a Sportline pedometer, which I thought was a pretty good one, to use when I walk the dog. Does anybody know how reliable pedometers really are? When I walk on my treadmill, (it's a gym-quality NordicTrack), I go by the stats the machine gives me, so I feel pretty confident about those numbers. But I'm never sure about my pedometer readouts.

For instance, what I would consider to be a "moderate walk at 3.0 mph" I would have to log at a "fast walk at 3.5 mph" to get the same number of calories burned according to the MFP database. So, maybe I'm walking faster than I think.??? or maybe my pedometer is full of *kitten*.

I don't know if I can afford to buy a heart monitor right now. Any suggestions?

Replies

• I've had several pedometers. I've worn all of them on the treadmill and compared the readings. I've returned all the ones that didn't compare well. the best one for accuracy so far is the Curves pedometer sold by Avon -- that was a HUGE surprise
  • brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    One thing you have to consider when using calories burned in MFP's database is the fact that its just an average for someone with your stats. Its not going to be completely accurate because everyone burns different even if they are the same weight. I personally would go with the lower number of the 2 just to be on the safe side and IF you happen to be burning more than thats just an extra plus. Im not sure how accurate pedometers are and if you really want a more accurate number as far as calories burned I would recomend saving some money here and there until you can get a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. It is a great investment even if it takes you a few months to put away the money. Until then use the pedometer! Good luck!!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    I suppose you could use the pedometer on the treadmill for a few times, compare the readings, then if you believe your treadmill, adjust accordingly when using just the pedometer.

It's worth noting though that you generally burn more calories in the real world than you would on a treadmill, especially if the ground is uneven or it's windy :)

I think the important thing is that you are doing the steps, not precisely how many calories you are burning, so keep it up!
  • TheGreatYaYa
    TheGreatYaYa Posts: 215 Member
    I suppose you could use the pedometer on the treadmill for a few times, compare the readings, then if you believe your treadmill, adjust accordingly when using just the pedometer.

It's worth noting though that you generally burn more calories in the real world than you would on a treadmill, especially if the ground is uneven or it's windy :)

I think the important thing is that you are doing the steps, not precisely how many calories you are burning, so keep it up!

Great idea! Thanks!