Protein Powder without Artificial Sweeteners

Options
Hi Everyone!

I’m looking for a new protein powder that is free of artificial sweeteners and has a pleasant taste!

My go to protein powder has been True Athlete. It’s sweetened with stevia and I was really enjoying it... until recently. Unsure if they changed the formula or something, but when I went to rebuy the protein, it tasted awful! It now has a strong chemical aftertaste.
So I’m considering trying a new protein powder. I’m looking for at least 20g of protein per serving.

What’s your favorite out there??

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    What about buying an unflavoured one and adding your own flavouring ingredients?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What about buying an unflavoured one and adding your own flavouring ingredients?

This is what I did -- I got tired of having a giant jar of just one flavor and when it is unflavored you also have more flexibility to add it to things like baked goods.

I am currently using brown rice protein powder, but I think you can get unflavored versions of just about any protein that you prefer.
  • gems74
    gems74 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It’s not a powder but hemp hearts are a great source of protein. 10 g in 3 tbsp. I use it in my smoothies and can be sprinkled on salads, cereals, oatmeal, etc.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I can't do it... wasting 100 calories on food that has no taste seems totally insane to me.
    gems74 wrote: »
    It’s not a powder but hemp hearts are a great source of protein. 10 g in 3 tbsp. I use it in my smoothies and can be sprinkled on salads, cereals, oatmeal, etc.

Ditto what I said above. That's 180 calories right there...

OP, I stopped using protein powder for that reason. I just can't stand artificial sweeteners anymore, unfortunately (same for stevia). I'd rather do with a bit less protein, use my calories on satisfying foods, and protein powder never filled me up anyway.
  • Link2Life
    Link2Life Posts: 102 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I really like 310 Nutrition. No sugar, no dairy, no artificial ingredients, plant based protein, probiotics etc. Naturally sweetened with stevia extract. 90 calories 15g protien (a bit less than you requested)

Taste is very subjective - I disliked shakeology but like 310. You can buy a sampler pack and the shake packages can always be found for 50% off somewhere (or just by asking them). I've tried Vanilla Chai, Strawberry, and Chocolate so far. I blend mine with a handful of ice, a cup of unsweetened almond milk, a banana, 2/3 cup Triple Zero Vanilla Greek Yogurt and then either berries or peanut butter depending on the flavor. They are so good (to me) that I think i'm having a treat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This. I imagine anything flavored with have some kind of sweetener, as most of the flavors are sweet.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I can't do it... wasting 100 calories on food that has no taste seems totally insane to me.

Google carbopro. I never imagined I'd see a day where I literally add hundreds of grams of powdered, unflavored, disgusting, CARBS to my diet.... (there is a justification)

I moved onto Gatorade Endurance, but still.
  • jenlhugg
    jenlhugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    SFH makes good tasting protein powder that mixes well, supposedly sourced from grass fed cows and is sweetened with stevia I believe.
  • kimhski1
    kimhski1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use Syntrax Nectar. No sugar, no carbs. 100 calories per scoop and 24g of protein. The Fuzzy Navel tastes like orange juice to me. The Wild Grape is like grape juice and the cherry one is amazing as well. All come in powder form. Tubs or take and go packs. Some experience issues with them mixing in that the powder gets clumpy. I find using room temp water and a frother or small immersion blender works great. I then add ice and enjoy. It’s a more juice like consistency versus a shake type consistency.
  • jeaninesteam1
    jeaninesteam1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This morning I tried the trader Joe's whey vanilla flavor. Sweetened with cane sugar but only 4 grams worth. 100 calories and 16 grams protein. Flavor was strange at first but by the end of my proats I got used to it.
  • Shadowfox429
    Shadowfox429 Posts: 30 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone.

I have a variety of protein powders. One is an unflavored whey. It doesn’t have a great taste, but I use that in my baking and oatmeal.
    I’m looking for a protein powder that’s easy. I don’t have to add a ton of ingredients, but will still taste pretty good. I usually just mix milk and protein powder to keep calories low.
    If I want a more filling shake, then I add Peanutbutter and banana.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I get whey protein isolate from Bulk Barn. I have liquid flavourings including caramel, vanilla, banana, and coconut. How about a teaspoon of sugar for sweetness? You don’t need much.

For a thicker shake, try adding oatmeal flour and/or 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Duh. Chocolate! When I make up my own powder I add two tablespoons of cocoa.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/best-artificial-sweetener-free-proteins.html

Sorry, I don't really have anything else for you. I've started using collagen more. But if you don't mind the taste of stevia, you could always just add that to your shake?
  • lks802
    lks802 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    PaleoPro protein powder. Aztec Vanilla flavor is good. It’s does have stevia leaf extract in it. Not sure if that’s out of what you’d consider. It’s on amazon if you want to check it out.

I like that it’s beef and egg protein rather than whey.
  • Shadowfox429
    Shadowfox429 Posts: 30 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Update: I’ve chosen the True Nutrition Grass-fed organic protein powder and I must say.. this is the BEST protein I’ve ever tried.
    I bought a tub of plain unsweetened and a tub of the Chocolate Fudge Brownie (stevia sweetened).
    It mixes super easily! No weird aftertaste! And it is completely customizable. You can add anything you’d like.. BCAAs, electrolytes, even daily vitamins. You can also adjust the amount of flavor in the powder.
    I love that it is all natural and organic. 24g of protein per scoop. The unsweetened one only had one ingredient! And no artificial sweeteners! :) I highly recommend
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I like my GNC 100% natural whey chocolate. Stevia sweetened. Also, my vega protein and greens is good too! (more pricy tho)