Army tape test

Options
So I am wondering what are the best conditions for a tape test to get the lowest number. I am a women and I know that makes a difference in method. The measure the neck which works for you and the waist and hips which work against you. Often after a PT test my waist numbers are usually bigger and I feel like I am swollen. I have a school I am attending in APR and I fear that sitting in a car for 5 hours then getting taped as soon as I get there will have adverse results. I am just trying to figure out the best condition and what I can do to prepare. Keep in mind that I am already exercising and eating healthy. I just seem to always be on the edge of passing.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    I think trying to game the test is sounding stressful. They have been tape-testing recruits for decades, it's not like you're the first to have this issue.

Keep losing weight and it will all work out. The more fit you are the better, so keep up your outside exercise to the level they will expect.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Are you logging food and staying within your calories consistently? Are you getting daily exercise for 30-60 minutes?
  • navychickpensfan
    navychickpensfan Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Do you get taped if you don't make weight?
  • katetwolf
    katetwolf Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have never made weight, it is not realistic for me. I am doing 45min a day of cardio Stair stepper and elliptical. Then additional work out. Again a women and my body changes with the time of the month also I am older and I know people think this sounds crazy but I can work out and come back two inches thicker or go to sleep and wake up bigger. So yeah day of, day minus activities are very important.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    katetwolf wrote: »
    I have never made weight, it is not realistic for me. I am doing 45min a day of cardio Stair stepper and elliptical. Then additional work out. Again a women and my body changes with the time of the month also I am older and I know people think this sounds crazy but I can work out and come back two inches thicker or go to sleep and wake up bigger. So yeah day of, day minus activities are very important.

Are you logging your food and staying within calories?

Why do you say you've never made weight and that it's not realistic for you? You're over-weight and the army wants you to do something about it. It can be fixed. Weighing less fixes it.

Sure, women *can* fluctuate a few pounds, and especially after a new exercise, that's why it's important to develop consistent patterns of weight and exercise.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If you're going to try to game the test, you're 6-12 months behind the curve.

1. Lose the weight
    2. Heavy neck rolls/nods

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Why do you say you've never made weight and that it's not realistic for you? You're over-weight and the army wants you to do something about it. It can be fixed. Weighing less fixes it.

Sure, women *can* fluctuate a few pounds, and especially after a new exercise, that's why it's important to develop consistent patterns of weight and exercise.

I can say that for me it wasn't realistic either. I was always 15lbs or so over weight. I got within 7-8lbs, I looked horrible and felt worse. I ended up recomping and going back up 7-8lbs.

With that said....OP, are you really close on tape where a little bloating could make you fail? I usually wouldn't sweat the tape score at school, as long as I was good to go I didn't care.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

I'm curious about this too - why would making weight never be realistic for you??
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You can lose 5-20 lbs in water weight in about a week...keep in mind, it won't be "real" weight as in fat loss, but it will be water weight, which is what it sounds like you are concerned about since you are worried about traveling and then getting measured. I also retain water a lot when I travel, for me that just means not wearing my rings or I won't be able to get them off, or wearing looser clothes, but for a body fat measurement, that can really throw off your numbers.

You can try drinking about 2 gal of water per day starting a week before the test.
    Switch to half a gal of water per day starting 3 days before the test.
    This should encourage your body to get rid of excess water.

When traveling, just stick to as little fluid as possible, because if you are like me then just about anything you consume on the road trip is just going to make you swell up like a puffer fish.

Also, exercise makes you retain water, so you may want to skip the exercise for a few days prior to testing.

You can also google other ways to shed water weight, there are fluid pills, and sweat suits, and all kinds of crazy things, but just altering water consumption will probably get the job done.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

I'm curious about this too - why would making weight never be realistic for you??

There are always a few outliers, However most of them like RGv2 above don't sweat the test, because they know their measurements are well within standard.

His profile pic clearly shows why he's an outlier, Not so sure with OP.
  • cmriverside
    Options

There are always a few outliers, However most of them like RGv2 above don't sweat the test, because they know their measurements are well within standard.

Right. But if both are off, the easy way for her is to continue to lose weight until one or the other is within acceptable range.

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Stop trying to cheat your numbers, they are what they are. Keep your diet in check, be consistent, be patient. Then watch how the numbers change over time.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

You mention how active you are and that it still doesn't lead to you making weight. Do you pay attention to how much you eat. THAT will allow you to make weight.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Right. But if both are off, the easy way for her is to continue to lose weight until one or the other is within acceptable range.

To be fair, the OP doesn't say if her tape test is off or not....or by how much, thus why I'm asking how close to failing we're talking here.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i will say that at 5'3", 154lbs - i am over 10lbs over the Army standards - thankfully the Navy gives me a few extra ones to work with (right on the cusp of Navy standards)...i always dread weigh-ins because i know i can kill my PT test, but i'm stocky (always have been)