To Fitbit or Not to Fitbit?

Options
Does everyone here have a fitbit? Or do you use a similar (not as expensive) tracking device?
I want to purchase somthing in the very near future but my wallet it not fitbit friendly.
I don't want to buy different cheap ones because if they don't work or break easily, then I would just be wasting money that I could've been saving for the fitbit.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The key question is what you want to gain from it, and to a large extent how you're motivated.

I've used Garmins, and currently my running GPS has a step tracker capability. To be honest I've rarely found the step tracking to be particularly motivational, but it has provided some useful insight into my habits.
  • nikipam11
    nikipam11 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i don't have fitbit. My smartphone will track a lot of what a fitbit does. I don't have a lot of money to sink into fitness so I track things the old fashion way. I be sure to move and burn more calories than taken in. I use MFP to help me track meals and exercise.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What are you looking for from an activity tracker? What are you wanting it to track?

I've had several different Fitbits and now an Apple Watch (which will be even more out of your range). I find it all motivating to get moving, but others don't.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,116 Member
    Options
    Never used one, or any other device other than a few times.

I lost about 75 pounds and have kept it off by keeping good records in a spreadsheet and using this site to log food and exercise. No $$$ output, other than a food scale. $20.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    What is your reason for wanting one? What do you think it will help you with?

I have a Fitbit charge 2 which I purchased recently. Steps were never anything I used to bother looking at because my volume of exercise was such that it really didn't matter. Recently, I've had to take a step back exercise wise due to other obligations and time constraints so I wanted to take a better look at my overall general activity throughout the day.

It has helped to remind me to move more and get up every hour and do a little jaunt around the office corridors and my dog is loving it because she gets a little 30 minute walk most mornings. I can also set it to track my rides, but I typically put that information into the app manually from my Garmin.

My total calories expended daily seems slightly inflated when compared to my own data...like about 200ish calories more, so take that information with a grain of salt.

One downside that I can see is that some people tend to get hyper-focused on steps and end up forgoing more higher intensity exercise just to get in steps. IMO, you reach a point of diminishing returns unless you don't have any fitness aspirations outside of walking.

Personally, I've gained some insight as to my daily habits and it's a bit of a reminder to move...but really, it was not a particularly expensive purchase for me...if I was more budget constrained, I probably wouldn't bother.
  • bisquickshawl
    bisquickshawl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The big reason I am drawn to fitness watches, is I am outside running around with my 2y/o all day, and having my phone on me is not a priority, but still want to be able to see how active we got.
    The only features that interest me are:
    -Steps taken
    -Pace
    -Distance
    -Heart monitor (not a high priority but would be nice to have)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    The key question is what you want to gain from it, and to a large extent how you're motivated.

Exactamundo!

The big reason I am drawn to fitness watches, is I am outside running around with my 2y/o all day, and having my phone on me is not a priority, but still want to be able to see how active we got.
    The only features that interest me are:
    -Steps taken
    -Pace
    -Distance
    -Heart monitor (not a high priority but would be nice to have)

Trackers are being constantly updated, so it's probably not hard to find a used one if you'd consider going that route. Something like a previous generation vivoactive could be had pretty cheaply. Heck, if you wanted to, you could probably scour the web and find some blowout sales on older models.
  • polluxj
    polluxj Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    fitbit it
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I bought mine at Sam's for less than
    $80.
  • bisquickshawl
    bisquickshawl Posts: 29 Member
    Options