Bananas for days

Options
strshllw84
strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
I have four very ripe bananas that I'd like to use before they get gross. I usually run out of bananas for my protein shakes pretty quickly but I forgot my shaker at work so the bananas caught up with me and my other bunch is starting to ripen too!

I have looked at so many recipes on Pinterest and it's hard to decide. What are your favorite healthy recipes you make with bananas!?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Once they are over ripe I use them for muffins. Make a dozen, keep a couple out, and freeze the rest. I can fit a homemade banana muffin into my day every once in a while. Great on the go snack.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Another vote for peeling and freezing. Great in smoothies, banana "nicecream", or defrosted to use in baking
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My family stops eating bananas when there are two left so I will be forced to make banana bread. I don't know if you would consider it healthy. https://www.bhg.com/recipe/quickbreads/banana-bread/

Otherwise I would peel them and pop them in the freezer to use them in a smoothie or shake.
  • asmarino
    asmarino Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I always have this problem too! What protein shake do you use them in? And what is the recipe for banana “nicecream”!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I have two choices. Banana bread or freeze them. I use the frozen bananas in my breakfast smoothie. I have to be sure that when I purchase bananas I don't get too many to realistically consume in a week.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    What the above poster said. I have about a dozen frozen bananas in my freezer. They turn black and they look gross when you thaw them out to use, but they taste great in baked goods or smoothies. You obviously can't thaw them out and eat them, unless you like them cold and slimy.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    My family stops eating bananas when there are two left so I will be forced to make banana bread. I don't know if you would consider it healthy. https://www.bhg.com/recipe/quickbreads/banana-bread/

Otherwise I would peel them and pop them in the freezer to use them in a smoothie or shake.

We're the same way. Weird. What is it about the last two bananas that are so hard to finish?

I freeze them and use them for oatmeal or baking when they get too ripe.
  • shira324
    shira324 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Whole-wheat protein banana pancakes or waffles. Make a whole batch and freeze for quick easy breakfasts or snacks!
  • abslikebuddha
    abslikebuddha Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Banana and oatmeal cookies. Just mixed smashed bananas and oatmeal and bake. I cant remember my recipe but it should be easy to search. I also like to add pecans and/or crasins.
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Baked oatmeal with bananas, cinnamon and nutmeg. Tastes like baked french toast, so good.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    asmarino wrote: »
    I always have this problem too! What protein shake do you use them in? And what is the recipe for banana “nicecream”!

Frozen banana chunks + food processor = banana nicecream.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    strshllw84 wrote: »
    I have four very ripe bananas that I'd like to use before they get gross. I usually run out of bananas for my protein shakes pretty quickly but I forgot my shaker at work so the bananas caught up with me and my other bunch is starting to ripen too!

I have looked at so many recipes on Pinterest and it's hard to decide. What are your favorite healthy recipes you make with bananas!?

I like to broil a banana briefly and then eat it as a side with dinner instead of a starchy side like potato. Tasty, and especially good with something spicy.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Love them with oatmeal or with peanut butter on toast!
  • crafty_introvert
    Options
    I recently made a peanut butter banana bar with oatmeal and it turned out good. And I made a batch of banana cinnamon muffins with egg whites, whole wheat flour and protein yogurt.