Who knew there was SUCH a difference???!!!

Options
Okay, so maybe I'm the only person on the planet who didn't know this, but when I used to eat oranges (which was rare), I would always eat navels because, well, they don't have any seeds...and I figured an orange is an orange, right?

Oh, so WRONG!!!!!! Recently, I started eating Valencia oranges and I can't believe how MUCH difference there is between the two. Comparatively, navels are dry and have no flavor at all! Valencias are like an explosion of orangey goodness! Wow!

I also recently discovered that the smaller pickling cucumbers are much tastier than their traditional salad cucumber cousins.

So now I'm wondering what other fruits/veggies I've been missing out on by eating the wrong type.

Anybody got any good suggestions?

Replies

• Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Red onions are far more flavoursome (in my opinion) than their brown counterparts!
  • vegout2
    vegout2 Posts: 14
    Options
    red, yellow and orange peppers are sweeter than green ones.
  • chubbychristianchick
    chubbychristianchick Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    If you have never had an heirloom tomato then you don't know what a tomato should taste like!
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I agree on the peppers and sweet potatoes are WAY better than regular potatoes.....oh and shallots are amazing little flavourful onion things
  • slimmer189
    slimmer189 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The Italian cukes are good; the tri color peppers are sweet (even my daughter eats then raw) Black and Red grapes (better than green)
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Pink lady apples are so sweet and wonderful
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    orange tomatoes - mmmmmmmm I can eat them sliced as a side dish
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    bump. . .
  • authson
    authson Posts: 233
    Options
    Honey Crisp Apples ( only available in the fall but amazing!
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    For me, Fuji or Gala Apples!
  • byukid
    byukid Posts: 55
    Options
    Jazz apples will blow your mind.

Blood oranges are incredibly delicious.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    bosc pears are much tastier, sweeter, and crisper at ripe than their bartlet cousins
  • atla_moves
    Options
    All my produce is either local or organic and sometimes both. And everything is so much tastier than the regular supermarket counterparts. Organic bananas are TO DIE FOR, and I'm not even a banana person. Pink lady apples are SO much better than red delicious. Champagne grapes are tastier than full-sized grapes. And organic oranges are crazy good.

One reason for this? Non-organic farmer's use chemicals that make their fruits/vegs suck up water like it's goin' out of style. That's why non-organic oranges are huge compared to organic ones. But they're mostly water. Whereas the organic ones are more concentrated flavor.
  • dancingphoenix
    Options
    Grapples (grape and apple hybrid) are good :) and the small red bananas are awesome!
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Clementines are small but oh so sweet and delicious!
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you on the Valencias!!! I love them! They have that orange flavor that I love.

Second, shallots. So tasty!

Third, pink lady and honey crisp apples. Delish!

(Nothing new to add.)
  • styler08
    Options
    Fall Kale is much tastier than Spring Kale!
    Enjoy!
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Clementines are small but oh so sweet and delicious!

Love Clementines! Plus they are easy to peel and are seedless.
  • seph_house
    seph_house Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you have never had an heirloom tomato then you don't know what a tomato should taste like!

OMG yes! i'm growing a heirloom beefsteak tomato called 'Pineapple' for the second year running which is just the most amazing juicy delicious thing ever. and if you try a variety that you don’t like? pick another to try, there is such a huge variety of flavours you will find something you like :)

and even if you just get basic red salad toms from the supermarket… they taste much nicer if eaten at room temperature than they do straight from the fridge, same for boiled eggs.
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    You gotta try ripe "plumcots", a cross between a plum and an apricot. I don't like apricots, but these are to die for!!!!! I agree with the other post of blood oranges, mmmm so good. If you haven't tried kiwi's, go buy one today. Not hard and not squishy, kiwis should give a little with a gentle squeeze. If too hard, toss into a paper bag with a banana until soft.