im looking for my mojo ..

hi
im trying again to loose weight .. im in the very lucky position that i dont have to work anymore and can stay at home and concentrate on myself .. we want to start a family .. but i need to loose weight first .. im 46 but feel 26 .. but mysteriously i am not so active as i used to be .. thought i was still in school and over-did the dvd of RC aerobics .. strained a muscle in my back and was in agony for weeks .. just got my breath back and want to loose weight .. well i need to loose almost 9stone .. so thats a person
any advice or exercise you guys can suggest .. i am disciplined if its written down and on my schedule i will do it .. xx

Replies

• I just got my health mojo back! I'd lost 70 lbs last year but gained 30 of it back this year. You've already done the most important thing: put yourself first! Find an eating plan that's high in fiber & protein, while cautiously using good carbs, brown rice, etc. And above all: drink water, Water, WATER!! :-) I'll be praying for you!
  • hlavers
    hlavers Posts: 32
    My advice is to schedule daily walks to start off. You don't want to injure yourself so plan to walk for 20 minutes , 3 tims a days and then slowly increase. After a couple of weeks add in a fitness dvd, hills, etc.

Also write out a meal plan. Slowly removed processed and processed sugar from your diet, eliminate white flour and rice, add whole grains, raw nuts, fish and other lean protein and lots of green veggies!! Also drink up on the water to flush out your sysmtem and eliminate toxins :)

Slow and steady wins the race :)
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    I started doing various DVD's from the Beach body company, you can join the virtual gym for free and they give you a calendar to scheudle the DVD workouts. If eel like I am accountable if they are scheduled :) you log in in the morning it tells you how many other people are working out. It motivates me more than when I used to go to the gym for exercise classess. The DVD's seem expensive at first glance but I actually quit the gym and have lost more weight and inches with them. MAy be worth a try :) Good luck feel free to add me as a friend we can motivate each other :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Do you have access to a pool? If you injured yourself trying to get back into conditioning risks aggravating the injury. Swimming is one of the lowest impact exercises around.

Also if you have the time, which it sounds like you do, go for long activities rather than short ones. If you have a rail trail near you, walking for two hours burns a tremendous amount of calories and poses much less risk than running or jogging.

Also if you can afford it, an investment in a heart rate monitor is a good thing for tracking how strenuously you're pushing yourself. It's an old technique, but I think it's the best starting point: at 46 your max heart rate is about 175, meaning your target heart rate for fat burn is somewhere between 105 and 140. Now this is just a very rough estimate, the harder you work the more calories you inevitably burn and the more productive your workout is, but particularly if you're worried about injury, keeping your workouts at low intensities will help you avoid injury.

So if you want something you can write down as a starting point, try very low intensity walking or swimming for 1-2 hours a day every day. If you have a heart rate monitor on you when you're walking try to keep your heart rate below 140 (I don't follow my own advice, I routinely workout with a heart rate significantly above what I would calculate my safe level to be...so don't hesitate to play around with the numbers and see what you feel comfortable with). You may still be sore afterwards as I'm not sure what your normal daily activity level is like, but with low enough intensity it is very unlikely that you will re injure yourself. Go from there!

Also bear in mind that exercise is only part of the equation. I like to say losing weight is 85% diet and 15% exercise. In addition to this you have to HAVE to eat right. As an example, remember that a single glazed donut could take over 30 minutes of walking to burn off. Get the diet right to lose weight, and include the exercise to assist with that and make you healthier and give you more energy.

Good Luck!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Start out slow. See what you like. Try walking, swimming, even get some workout DVDs ( I love my Biggest Loser ones!) or maybe find a workout class...Zumba is great.

I wish you luck in your weight loss journey. Feel free to add me as a friend.. I will offer as much motivation as I can!