Bulimia/Anorexia Support

Options
I used to be on Calorie Count, and one of the things I miss from that site is the large ED/recovery community, and the amount of support. I'm not currently in recovery, but I'd love to meet some of the ED people on here and give/receive support to one another. So if anyone has an ED and wants to be friends, post here and I'll add you! Feel free to message me anytime, I'd love to get to know you guys.

Some background on me: I've had bulimia for more than five years now (I'm 18) I went into treatment in late April of this year, and did inpatient stays at Walden Behavioral Care and a psychiatric hospital. I have an outpatient team consisting of a nutritionist, therapist, doctor, and psychiatrist. Currently I am not in recovery from my ED, but I am trying to be as healthy as possible and make progress towards one day being in recovery. Since coming home from the psychiatric hospital (about 5 weeks ago) I've been struggling with restricting more than usual, and my weight has been going back down. I joined this site to hopefully keep track of my intake and exercise and really see how much I'm eating and hopefully increase it a little.

Replies

• Chelij
    Chelij Posts: 49
    Options
    Hi!

I'm currently in remission from an ED (bulimia) and coming on here to count calories was a HUGE step. We're walking a fine line here. I'm sure you know that in treatment they tell you to NOT count your calories and focus more on tracking food groups. Personally, tracking my food groups causes the same stress as calories.

I'm just curious, do your therapists know that you are tracking calories? And do they approve of it? I don't think my therapists would approve of me being on here (I haven't seen them in a while though). Of course, as long as you know your self and know when it's getting to be too much then you should be ok. You say that you are going to try and increase how much you eat, but are you sure that this won't lead to further restriction??

I know how hard living with "Ed" can be so I just hope that it isn't "Ed" making you track your calories instead of yourself just trying to get healthier.
  • fleetinglovesongs
    Options
    Ever since I found out how many calories my meal plan was (my meal plan uses exchanges), I've been counting calories again. My team knows, and while I'm sure they would rather I didn't, they would also like to me keep eating, and if tracking calories helps, then so be it.

Currently I am having a hard time keeping down more than a few hundred calories a day, so I'm trying to slowly increase my intake so that I get used to eating more and hopefully that will help reduce the binging/purging issue.

Congrats on being in remission!
  • Chelij
    Chelij Posts: 49
    Options
    Like I said, as long as it doesn't make you restrict, then it's all good :) And thanks! It's still tough, but I try to stay realistic and in tune with what might be ED behaviours
  • Jackie_Snape80
    Options
    I've been mostly EDNOS, but now I'm borderline anorexic. Not "officially" diagnosed, but I was reccomended and sent to a therapist for it...I guess that counts.

I'm trying to let myself reach out for some additional support...as hard as it is for me(Ed hates other people getting involved). I've been doing well keeping my intake closer to the bare minimum, and almost always at/above it. I'll be starting college next Monday and I'm scared Ed will start calling me again. I don't think I can go back to college on my own again...that's what made Ed come out from where he was hiding in the first place. I'll probably slip up and I may have a relapse day or two, but I'm trying my best to reach out and achieve full recovery(even on days when Ed tells me that I'm "not *that* sick" or that I'm "all better now").

I'd love to friend up with anyone....if you want
  • CoachMaritova
    CoachMaritova Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Bump.... Driving while mfp'ing... I have issues.