Meal Replacement

Options
Just curious... have any of you replaced a meal with a shake/meal bar? And had success? Or bad results?

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    they are ok occasionaly, but NEVER a substitue for real food !
  • euni2
    euni2 Posts: 27
    Options
    I tried a diet program once that required three protein bars a day, and then a small meal. It worked, I lost nine pounds pretty quickly, but boy did I get sick of protein bars!!! Usually in the mornings I get my fruit in with this awsome protein shake: I freeze together 1/2 cup frozen berries and 1/2 cup pineapple; then add 1 1/2 cups diet berry juice (I use V-8 Diet Berry Blend) and 1 scoop protein powder. Add the frozen fruit and blend. It's as thick as a shake and tastes like a strawberry daquiri!! It's awsome! I usually freeze about 8 bags of fruit at a time so all i have to do is throw it together for a quick meal. It comes out to about 20 grams of protein and about 190 calories. It's a great after workout snack too or I use it for meal replacement.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake made of 8 -12 oz skim milk, a banana and 1 - 2 scoops of Isopure zero carb protein, plus some ice. I do this almost every day on workout days for breakfast immediately following my workouts. It works for me, I've lost 53 lbs so far, but everyone is different. I also have 5 more snacks/meals a day so it's just the only thing I eat for a couple of hours until my morning snack. I don't think I would do it if I were just eating 3 meals a day and no snacks in between. Just my $0.02
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I have to be to work early and I don't have time to enjoy breakfast. . I drink slim fast for breakfast. It keeps me full until lunch.
  • Mcdonaldfitandfree
    Options
    My husband uses a protein shake as a meal replacement on a weight management program. Its not on the market yet,
    The people that have tested it and the consultants that are marketing to those who want it,have lost weight,my friend is on his 4th week on the program,and has lost 34 pounds and many inches.

Its not food,but with the junk that's out there I would definetly be doing something to help your body out.

Hope that helps
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I tried slim-fast in '95, but I was hungry. All. The. Time. on it.

I can see using a shake or bar as a breakfast replacement in a pinch, but not on a regular/daily basis, and certainly not twice a day with nothing else until dinner.
  • Richard170
    Options
    The only calories I ever get from beverages are from my nightly glass of Cabernet and I don't eat any kind of bars.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    The Special K meal replacement shakes are really yummy. The chocolate one is like drinking chocolate milk--without all the calories, lol. I have a hard time finishing a whole shake, so it definitely fills me up!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    a protein shake itself offers NO benefit to you that you don't get from food with lean protein. Several sources I've read have suggested eating a protein source with EVERY meal...including snacks. There are reasons for consuming lean protein in every meal...one of which is that it takes longer to digest and therefore, you feel fuller longer. anyway, protein shakes are an easy way to get a protein source with a meal (or as a meal) if you are not otherwise eating enough protein. however, protein shakes themselves aren't magic.
  • browncm2
    Options
    I mixed vanilla flavored whey protein powder with unsweetened almond milk, vanilla flavored, and it was great for on the go and keeping you full til your next meal. Tastes great and if you're working on cutting carbs, it'sperfect and the almond milk has its benefits as well such as being lactose and soy free and loaded with calcium. When I use the protein shakes or protein replacement bars, I do tend to eat less calories overall. Good luck!