Hypoglycemic and struggling to lose weight without hurting myself

Options
I was recently diagnosed as Hypoglycemic, still working to figure out which type, and I’m struggling really hard with eating. I want to try and eat better but a lot of foods that are always readily available when sugar drops, aren’t great for you and the ones that are good for you, take a while to raise my sugar. Plus I struggle with picky eating due to acid reflux, though I am working to eat more foods. I don’t know what to do because if I eat the foods that will raise my sugar enough to stop my symptoms, then I feel like *kitten* because they are unhealthy, but if I don’t, then I’m sitting there for a while waiting for the shakes to stop :/ Tips please

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I have to stay lower carb and even throughout the day. I eat a really high carb meal, my sugar level plumets. Have you been logging everything? Are you checking cbg's?
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    What about some of the fruits that have higher sugar levels, like grapes? Do those help?
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed as Hypoglycemic, still working to figure out which type, and I’m struggling really hard with eating. I want to try and eat better but a lot of foods that are always readily available when sugar drops, aren’t great for you and the ones that are good for you, take a while to raise my sugar. Plus I struggle with picky eating due to acid reflux, though I am working to eat more foods. I don’t know what to do because if I eat the foods that will raise my sugar enough to stop my symptoms, then I feel like *kitten* because they are unhealthy, but if I don’t, then I’m sitting there for a while waiting for the shakes to stop :/ Tips please

I get hypoglycemic after long workouts if I dont have some protein throughout the day. I keep some candy for such times when I get shaky or other symptoms.

My goto "rescue candy" for hypoglycemia episodes is Welches fruit gummies (They are 80 kcals and have 100% vit C in them also). Lol

I keep protein bars and the candy pouches in my gym bag. Other snacks could be fruit, string cheese, raw veggies, yogurt. This works for me.

Keep your body fueled enough throughout the day to limit hypoglycemic episodes. Protein, complex carbs and some fat, throughout the day leads to a more stable blood sugar usually.

Your dr or registered dietician should be able to advise you on managing your bloodsugar.

• 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    1houndgal wrote: »

I get hypoglycemic after long workouts if I dont have some protein throughout the day. I keep some candy for such times when I get shaky or other symptoms.

My goto "rescue candy" for hypoglycemia episodes is Welches fruit gummies (They are 80 kcals and have 100% vit C in them also). Lol

I keep protein bars and the candy pouches in my gym bag. Other snacks could be fruit, string cheese, raw veggies, yogurt. This works for me.

Keep your body fueled enough throughout the day to limit hypoglycemic episodes. Protein, complex carbs and some fat, throughout the day leads to a more stable blood sugar usually.

Your dr or registered dietician should be able to advise you on managing your bloodsugar.

I want to add, once I eat my gummies and my sugar goes up, I chase the candy with some complex carbs and protein. That helps me to avoid the crashes.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    I have to stay lower carb and even throughout the day. I eat a really high carb meal, my sugar level plumets. Have you been logging everything? Are you checking cbg's?

This is me. If I eat higher carb, my BG crashes in about 2 hours and I get the shakes, headaches, and cold sweats. Once I started avoiding most carbs, I became fat adapted and my brain could use other fuel. No more glucose reliance = no more symptoms, for me.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options

I think you need to worry less about "healthy" and "unhealthy". Obviously no one is saying to gorge on things like candy or the like, but if a piece of candy or whatever it is that you consider "unhealthy" helps stop your symptoms, I'd imagine that'd be a proverbial drop in the bucket compared to the rest of your food. 1houndgal and nvmomketo also have some good suggestions.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Am to eat regularly and base your meals around low/slow carb, and obviously sufficient protein and fat.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    1houndgal wrote: »

This is who you need to ask
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I use Glucose tablets. The ones I have are 15 cals. One is usually enough to get rid of the shakes. Occasionally I need two. They are a godsend and easily available in most pharmacies and supermarkets.