Low Carb/Keto Ratios questions?

Options
Hi, I am new to MFP. I have been low carb/high protein for about a year and am down 47lbs. I want to learn more about ketosis and what percentages I need to put into the MFP calculator to lose more weight. Can anyone help?

Replies

• dmcnur
    dmcnur Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am on a very restricted ketogenic diet with no more than 20g of carbs a day. For me this equates to 5% carbs, protein should be about 20-25% (for me about 70g on a non exercise day) as a ketogenic diet is generally moderate protein rather than high, and the balance should be from fats. I have been following this since 1st November 2017 and am having good results. Down from 92.8 kg to 74.9 kg (approx 40 pounds) at my last weigh in. I am aiming for 60kg and am 61 years old, 160cm tall. My diet is medically supervised and blood results have all improved. I hope this helps.
  • LaurenMaloneBoymom
    Options
    Great!!! Thank you so much for the input. Keep up the great work. :)
  • ClayBengal
    ClayBengal Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The 70-25-5 model has been working for me.
  • Fynnlagh
    Fynnlagh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You want to avoid to get to high on protein, because of "Gluconeogenesis" which means if your protein intake is too high it gets metabolized into glucose.
    I would try to get some more fat and check how much you can go up in carbs without dropping ketosis. More important is to drink more water/tea and working out.
    If you already lost 21kg/47lbs and start dropping below a certain body fat value your body tends to keep the body fat for "hunger times" and things get a lot slower.
    That's no reason to question yourself.

For checking out your intake, you can try this page. It's not perfect, but a great help

https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You lose more weight by eating in a calorie deficit and being patient. Weightloss inevistably slows down when you lose weight. Meal composition is totally up to taste preference.
  • kennybain
    kennybain Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good advice above. One thing I'd add is to get some Ketostix and make sure you have ketones in your urine. As long as some (even a trace) is present, you are burning body fat. Also, drink a lot of water! If I'm not drinking enough, my ketones will be on the high end of the Ketostix scale. Also, I incorporate a lot of bacon into my diet and I don't toss the bacon grease. Use it to cook with and add flavor to your meals!