My Doctor Made Me Fat!!!

Options
Not completely true, but it feels that way. My doctor had been telling me to lose weight for a while, and I kept trying, but I wasn't finding the support I needed or the method that worked for me. At one point, she had me do a blood test and my cholesterol was really high, so she started me on Lipitor. That was a bad idea, let me tell you! I gained 12 pounds in a month. A MONTH!! Naturally, I took myself off the Lipitor, and am now sitting at 230 pounds. I haven't been back to see my doctor either. She meant well, but oh my gosh what a mistake.
So, here I am, desperately trying to lose weight that I never should have gained to begin with, on top of the weight I was already struggling to lose.
I'm 34, 5'7, and don't look overweight except in my face and belly. My goal weight is 155, so I have a long way to go, but I'm hoping with the community support and tips from myfitnesspal it will be a little easier.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Uhh. The Lipitor did not make you fat either. You should not stop prescription drugs without consulting your doctor first.

Do you log your calorie intake?
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Tip #1 embrace how you got here, which has nothing to do with your doctor, and then move on.

Weight gain happens when you eat more calories than you burn a day, in order to lose weight just do the opposite of that.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You should go back to your doctor, gaining 12lbs in a month is not normal... it's probably water weight which is a side effect of the drugs, but you should still tell her.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I'm looking at the side effects of Lipitor in Epocrates, and gaining weight is not listed. If you gained 12 lbs of water weight in a month, you need to get into your doctor right away since this might be the result of one of the other side effects of the drug (some of them very serious).

Lipitor is prescribed "to lower the risk of stroke, heart attack, or other heart complications in people with type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease, or other risk factors." As others have said, you're playing with fire by deciding to go off it without consulting with your doctor.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Please discuss any side effects from medications with your doctor.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Uhhh...you need to go back and see your doctor...you don't just take yourself off of prescription medications. The reason it was prescribed was with your cholesterol you are at higher risk of stroke or heart attack.

Not a good idea to just take yourself off.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    If you saw a weight gain immediately after starting Lipitor it is recommended that you contact your Dr.
  • Naaer
    Naaer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm with the people who are saying that you need to see your Doctor...There's alot of reasons why you might of gained that amount of weight in a month, and I completely agree that that is way TOO much weight to gain...You need to see your doctor and tell him/her what is going on...Just my two cents worth...