Hi! Vegetarian trying to shed some extra baggage!

Options
Hi Y'all!

Found this site a few months ago on my phone, completely forgot about it after a while, but now back to start all over again!

I've been vegetarian for a few years (ethical reasons etc), but I've found this diet helped me maintain my weight give or take a pound, which I think is a great side effect of not eating meat!

Unfortunately for me I was overweight before I became veggie! Now I've just geared myself up over the last few months to properly lose this weight and get myself back to a "happy" weight, where I don't feel like I'm missing out. I love being outdoors, last weekend being a good example (nearly killing myself by walking uphill for 45 mins - still did it though!) It'd be nice to go hill walking without being out of breath.

So that's me, hi everyone! Looking forward to hearing from you all!

J

Replies

• SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Glad you're back to MFP. I absolutely love this site and phone app. A friend told me about it in passing one day and I've been hooked every since. I'm a vegetarian also (recently) and have absolutely loved the way I've felt since cutting out meat. I consider myself "vegan-ish" since I'm at least trying to cut out all animal products but haven't really found a way to stop eating cheese and ice cream yet haha. Best of luck with everything! :bigsmile:
  • j_cro
    j_cro Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks! I'm a strict vegetarian myself, and cheese would have been one of my hardest to give up as well....there are some great vegan cheeses out there that taste ok, lower on the fat content though which is a good thing to keep in mind!!
  • CalamityCat
    Options
    Hi,

I'm a woefully chubby veggie, having perfected eating bad veggie food, so add me if you like - I've only been on here 5 days! And Swedish glacé is a lovely vegan ice cream!

Catherine :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am also veggie, have been for 21 years. During that time I have weighed between 112 lbs and 160 lbs, and am currently 133. I think vegetarianism is the healthier food choice (I would be vegan ideologically but I just can't give up cheese).
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    hi, J :) i'm trying to incorporate lots more vegetarian cuisine into my diet and cut way, way back on meat (red, pork, poultry) if not eliminate it altogether. so far, i've gone about 2 weeks as a pescatarian, so to speak. so welcome to the club! keep it up and you will do fabulously :)

~L
  • j_cro
    Options
    Loving the level of encouragement on here! fteale, veganism is tought when there's so much you realise you have to give up....It is so easy to eat bad veggie food, I know people who seem to exist only on potatoes...Great to know we're all supportive of each other anyway!
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm another veggie :)
    I struggle not to 'use' quorn alternatives as a quick easy way of eating to be honest, so more receipes / getting inventive is likely my way forward. :)
    Hope you get on well and enjoy the board, it's super friendly I've found. :)
  • j_cro
    Options
    I rarely use Quorn, it's usually my go-to for when I cook for friends! There's so many delicious recipes using just veggies, one of my favourites is portabello mushrooms stuffed with finely chopped celery and red pepper and basil pesto - very filling and hopefully not to bad for you! Curries are great as well as they can be made in bulk for using next day or for lunch etc...
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I love curry, thai curry and chinese veggies :) I think the quorn thing started when I was pregnant with my 19 month old - I was starving and during breast feeding the same, so the quorn seemed to make my meal have more protein without fat. :) the mushrooms sound lovely may well try them, wouldn't have added pesto so that's a good tip :) I love pesto on pastry squares (fresh pastry) but thats not so healthy! lol