Healthiest breakfast cereal (UK)

Options
Hi
Can anyone recommend any healthy breakfast cereals? I'm in the UK

Replies

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    "Healthy" is a subjective term. What exactly are you looking for? Does it have to have certain nutrients? Certain calorie count?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I think that the American sorts are not so good except as the oat-based varieties make an effort at it. The European sorts of meusli or however it's spelled look better to me.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Egg whites.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Can anyone recommend any healthy breakfast cereals? I'm in the UK

As a cereal lover, I simply eat a very wide variety of cereals, varying every time we shop.

For me - breakfast equals cereal, and cereal equals breakfast. Other stuff sometimes, but I must include cereal.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Almost all cereals have about the same stats. They're just a bunch of grains with some stuff sprayed on them. So it's not worth worrying about, IMO. If you wanna make it a "real" meal, add vanilla protein powder.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The healthiest one would be the one you like but are not as likely to overeat and make dieting harder. Other than that, the differences between individual cold cereals are minimal - a few grams of this, a few grams of that, not enough to make a difference.
  • canafishdrown
    canafishdrown Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    "Healthy" is a subjective term. What exactly are you looking for? Does it have to have certain nutrients? Certain calorie count?

Calorie count. In need to lose a lot of weight.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    The problem is most cereals are pretty calorie dense. Especially the nice ones :)

You can have a big bowl of fruit and yoghurt for the same calories as a very sad little serving of cereal, so really it depends how you want to allocate your calories and whether you like cereal enough to ‘spend’ that much on breakfast.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    The problem is most cereals are pretty calorie dense. Especially the nice ones :)

You can have a big bowl of fruit and yoghurt for the same calories as a very sad little serving of cereal, so really it depends how you want to allocate your calories and whether you like cereal enough to ‘spend’ that much on breakfast.

have the yogurt and sprinkle cereal on top like granola. still get the cereal crunch but you dont feel cheated for the tiny serving.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have protein enriched cereal for breakfast, keeps me fuller longer than normal cereal.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Probably All Bran with some fruit in it.
  • genghis54
    genghis54 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    porridge oats
  • pamfin
    pamfin Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I really like porridge oats either as porridge or overnight oats with yogurt or fat free quark and fruit mixed in. My breakfast typically comes in at between 300-400 calories but then I don't have anything until lunch.
  • AMC110
    AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I usually have 2 weetabix with 150 ml of soya milk and a sliced banana.
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I have plain porridge oats made with half milk half water, this comes in around 220 calories
  • eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    There are "whole grain" cereals now - so I would aim for those, also cereals in the UK will be fortified, so check your micros on MFP and see if anything needs a boost and pick one with good fortification in that.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Scott's rolled oats or weetabix (you can get a protein version if that's your thing)