I make homemade protein bars- photos and recipe inside!

Options
HoldTheDoor13
HoldTheDoor13 Posts: 172 Member
Hi all.

I regularly make homemade protein bars, the recipe I use is pretty adaptable for different flavours and I think it tastes good and keeps well. One average the bars/cookies are ~220 cals and 20g protein each. They work out much cheaper than store bought and are easy to make in bulk. I'm going to share the base recipe below and show some of the different varieties I've made by using different add ins.

Makes 9-

130g peanut butter
160g brown rice or other plant protein (don't use whey for this, it doesn't work)
3-4 tbsp stevia or sweetener of choice
1 cup of almond milk or other milk of choice
Generous pinch of salt
80g oat flour (you can just blend up regular oats)
Mix ins/flavourings of choice

Whisk or blend the peanut butter, milk, and stevia together in a large bowl.

Slowly add the protein powder, salt and oat flour, stirring well as you go.

The end result should be similar to cookie dough. At this point you can add your mix ins. I find it easier to combine by hand at this point.

Form the mixture into bars or cookies and place on a flat tray to refrigerate overnight. Once they are set they are ready to go, but I find they taste best if you take the out of the fridge and eat at room temp. This makes them great for throwing in your bag to eat after the gym.

These are some of the flavour variations ive done recently
e8w7vryifamd.jpeg

Dark chocolate chunks, espresso and roasted walnut

g2adu3z956h6.jpeg

Dehydrated strawberry, white chocolate and vanilla

89vzpco8p8ea.jpeg

Salted caramel, biscuit pieces, dark chocolate

rii952ul6x9w.jpeg

Peanut, milk chocolate and pretzel

Replies

• wendyron3
    wendyron3 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    So it's brown rice protein powder?
  • HoldTheDoor13
    Options
    OMG these look amazing!

Thank you!

wendyron3 wrote: »
    So it's brown rice protein powder?

Yup. I use the unflavoured sunwarrior one, but brand doesn't matter
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Looks great and the macros look good too. I was looking for something like this to eat on the fly and this might fit the bill. I will give it a spin. I assume they can be frozen for longer storage. Have you tried freezing them and, if so, were they still the same texture after freezing? Now that I think about it, I wonder what would happen if you baked them like a cookie. B)
  • HoldTheDoor13
    Options
    I bet they would bake up pretty well, but I haven't frozen them before- I can tell you that because most of the ingredients are pretty stable, they keep pretty well in an airtight container in the fridge. I'm not sure how long exactly but I've eaten them when they are 8-9 days old and they've been fine
  • JohnnyPenso
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Made them last night and tried a thin slice this morning. Very soft and a good peanut butter taste. I made a half batch and I'll cut it into 8 I think, which gives me 130 calories and 10g of protein. I used quinoa flour and a combination of pea and hemp protein and had to add some more cashew milk to get it the right consistency but it was no problem. I also added some chopped up dates for a little sweetness and next time I think I'll throw in some nuts as well. I think I'll throw one or two into my lunch bag today. Sometimes when I'm stuck working (self employed and in the service business - aka never know when I'm going to be done for sure) and can't get to the gym I'm looking for a snack to tide me over because I don't like going to the gym hungry or with the fuel tank empty and this should do the trick. At $2-3 a bar, store bought protein bars start to add up if I use them for emergency fuel B)

Thanks!
  • AnnaBanana5010
    AnnaBanana5010 Posts: 55 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thank you can't wait to look this over later
  • JohnnyPenso
    Options
    Update on my post above ^^^. I was late getting to my workout today as usual on Monday and the two bars I had stashed in my lunchbox really came in handy B)
  • rebecca_beckerz
    rebecca_beckerz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is super awesome, thank you so much for posting this information @HoldTheDoor13
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What happens if you use whey? I have an 11lb bag here, not keen on buying a separate protein powder for these. But i will if i positively have too!
  • APO_Katie
    APO_Katie Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    These sound amazing.
  • mcfish618
    mcfish618 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Wondering the same thing why whey won't work?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    mcfish618 wrote: »
    Wondering the same thing why whey won't work?

I've been waiting for nearly a year for a reply on that question @mcfish618 , I don't think we're going to get an answer..

• goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I’ve been wanting to make my own bars for a while! The peanut, milk chocolate, and pretzel looks delish :)
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Oops
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    These look great, thanks!!!!!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Looks great! I enjoy making my own protein bars etc. too. It's great to be able to control the ingredients I use, plus they are easy to make. Thanks for sharing!
  • cijns50
    cijns50 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Looks good. I must try. Thanks
  • cijns50
    cijns50 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been trying so hard to do high protein low carbs, but it is just not working. I've tried different meals but it seems as though the carbs are still higher than the protein out of the quantity is higher I've still been trying to do more protein. Any suggestions?
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Those look so good! Do you think Pea Protein would work?

EDIT: I just realized this is super old and the OP hasn't answered anyone else. I think I'll just have to experiment!