So tired of being fat

Options
Hi everyone, I've been told by many doctors that i won't be living much longer if i don't do something about my eating habits and all around health. So i'm going to start logging in my food and everything that i do during the day. I'm 67 years old and raising 3 grand kids that i would love to be here for to see them graduate and start their own families. I'm having a lot of trouble with diabetes right now and i'm on insulin for the first time ever. Its really scary and i hope it keeps me out of the food. My sugar levels are high right now because of Prednizone which is a steroid. So i'm dealing with that right now and it's not fun. Glad to be here to be able to vent. Hope i didn't drive anyone nuts.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Oh, we're already nuts :D
    Welcome to MFP :)
    Keeping a food diary can be a great help to get your food intake under control and improve your relationship with food.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Would your doctor write you a prescription to meet with a nutritionist who specializes in diabetes? Have you been able to work with a diabetes educator? There is so much they can teach you to help you learn to cook, eat, and exercise in ways that will help you get diabetes under better control. You are really learning for 4 because you will be able to share what you learn with your sweet grandchildren. I wish you the best. Change is never easy, even when it is necessary. Good luck and good health!
  • jkhac
    jkhac Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Many years ago at 260+ lbs I started Calorie Count (gone now) and had sucessfully lost to my goal of 200 lbs. Continueing Calorie Count for years then it was suddenly gone and I had gained back to 240 lbs. A friend introduced me to MFP and I started at 240 and now down to 228 Lbs. Seem stuck in that range and annalizing seems I am not burning calories with my seditary life-style so writing this to convince myself to get off my *kitten* and get moving some. Diet and exercise should be back on the plate, so here we go. --
  • steph_is_happy
    steph_is_happy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Nanapapa you can do it!!! It’s mind over matter... mind over matter... I’m 32 and I need to lose 150 lbs. umm yeah. I’ve been eating horrible my whole life and now I’m changing it because I can’t stand being heavy anymore. I use the MFP app to track EVERYTHING I consume and I do NOT go over my allotted calories no matter what. I’ve lost 6 lbs in 10 days and I’m very excited. I feel better already!! And yes, it’s hard! I am used to eating fast food, easy frozen pizza type meals, candy, chips, ice cream.. all that crap. But none of it is worth the sadness I feel every single time I put on my jeans or look in the mirror. It’s not worth it. That’s what I tell myself as I’m eating my 6th salad of the week
  • nanapapa121794
    nanapapa121794 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone i am keeping a food journal thru fitness pal and keeping track of everything including potassium and magnesium. it's like a job for me. I want food all the time .............its like i'm such an addict that all i think about is food. i'm trying to do things on the computer to get my mind off the stuff. I wish i had a huge room to do crafts in. And no one in my family understands me. I get no one to talk about stuff or anything. Im going to take a nap now. Thanks for letting me vent.

• puzzlehead5
    puzzlehead5 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi nana, your grandkids are lucky to have you. It takes baby steps to change how you eat. Maybe you can start with cutting out the soda or fruit juices if you do drink any of these things. And yes keeping a food journal really helps. Stay positive you can do this!! Good luck.
  • GetFit4Life2018
    GetFit4Life2018 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I read intermittent fasting is great for elevated blood sugar. Increase fiber too, that's important when blood sugar is elevated. Hang in there. You can do it! Friend me if you want. Are there options for your medication, maybe switch to something else that works and doesn't increase blood sugars?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    :) When I started my weight loss journey this time (after many failed attempts over decades), I knew that I had to make big changes in my priorities. I decided that I would no longer seek attention for my great chocolate chip cookies and instead try to be good at something else. I gave away most of my baking tools and ingredients. I stopped making knitting my activity to fill my time and sought ways to be active instead. I gave up eating as a form of recreation, entertainment, and reward. I started reading about healthy eating and exercise looking for articles on the internet and books at the library. I learned to say "no thank you" when offered food that wasn't on my plan for the day. I found a group of like-minded women on MFP and check in with them every day.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • nanapapa121794
    Options
    Some one asked me to friend them. How do you do that on this thing? Or does she mean thru facebook?
  • nanapapa121794
    Options
    Does anyone know what MFP means? I would love to talk to a group but have no idea how.
    OH God i'm stupid MFP means my fitness pal.. DUH now to find a group. LOL ]

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    Some one asked me to friend them. How do you do that on this thing? Or does she mean thru facebook?

Click on that person's name under their picture. Then click on their name when the next screen comes up. Then you'll be at their profile and there will be a box that says "Add Friend". That's how to add a friend on the computer. The phone app might be different.

I post with a group of women called "Women Ages 50+" They are on the "Motivation and Support" section in community. There are lots of friendly groups and threads. The key is to read the posts daily and join in the conversation.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • megbelievesshecan
    megbelievesshecan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    All I know is that you have to take it one day at a time. Don't look at the big picture, look at today.

Eat well today. Exercise today. Do what you can today. Don't worry about tomorrow, until tomorrow.