Pilates for abs?

Options
So, what do people think of doing pilates for stronger abs? Is it considered the best? This is not pilates with machines but as I'm a member of Gaia or Gaiam was just looking and they have Mari Winsor & Ana Caban, etc. They looked pretty great imho.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    It depends on the objective. Why do you want to work your abs? To reduce back pain? To tighten the area? For a particular sport? Something else?
  • ZRunner5Lulaica
    ZRunner5Lulaica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I did pilates at a studio while in college. I wouldn't say it did anything for giving me abs (they weren't more visible, I didn't look leaner in the middle), but gave my friend and I an outlet for our semesters of stress, and did teach us to be more mindful of our core. There's definitely things I learned that I still carry with me almost 10 years later.

I would personally find a studio to start out with, as having a good instructor to direct and correct is invaluable.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've seen some pretty great Pilates abs. I do Pilates twice a week in a class. I definitely have a strong core, but with the fluff on my belly, there's no "abs" to be seen.
    I second the suggestion to start in a studio (or a class with a certified instructor). Starting Pilates (or yoga) right is important.
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    Why are you looking to work your abs? If its to actually have them appear visible, sorry to say but abs come from the kitchen, not just the gym.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »
    Why are you looking to work your abs? If its to actually have them appear visible, sorry to say but abs come from the kitchen, not just the gym.

Right but "stronger abs", as indicated in the OP, don't come from the kitchen at all - they come from various forms of exercise (which may or may not be in a gym). Pilates, or at least "classical pilates", was really helpful for me in terms of abdominal strength. I also just really enjoy it. At the time I was doing it for health reasons, primarily back pain, and pilates was very helpful in that regard. That said anything that would have worked towards improving my core strength while also not irritating my back would have been helpful. Over the past few years swimming has been really helpful in that regard.