Exercise calories burned don't show up

Options
Show negative Cal's in total tho. I did strength training.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you seeing?
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    The Dashboard on the web version shows a different equation than the ones on the iOS or Android mobile apps.

The web version subtracts exercise Calories from Food and shows Net Calories.

The mobile apps add exercise Calories to Goal and shows Remaining Calories (after subtracting Food logged).

That is why it is important to explain exactly what you are seeing.
  • aWildFlowere
    aWildFlowere Posts: 76 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Android user here...just be easier if it showed up under exercise as calories burned. I am also not sure if it subtracts my custom input or provided weightlifting exercise calories burned. Very frustrated.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Android user here...just be easier if it showed up under exercise as calories burned. I am also not sure if it subtracts my custom input or provided weightlifting exercise calories burned. Very frustrated.

Can you post a screen cap of what you are seeing? Not sure what you mean.
  • CyberTone
    Options

Please post a screen capture of what you are seeing.

I am going to guess that you are adding your weight lifting under Add > Strength Training. If so, that area is for a basic log of the sets/reps/weights per individual exercise. It does not provide estimated Calories burned per individual exercise.

If you want an estimate for Calories burned for that combined time of weight lifting, you will need to log it by the total amount of time you spent weight lifting. Go to Add > Cardiovascular, search for the word "train" and log the amount of time for "Strength training (weight lifting / weight training)."
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    You cannot accurately calculate calories burned doing strength training. The number depends on effort, weight, height lifted, leverages and a host of other variables. Strength training is for increasing strength, flexibility and range of movement. Don't use it as a form of cardio.
  • CyberTone
    edited February 2018
    Options
    DevilsFan1 wrote: »
    You cannot accurately calculate calories burned doing strength training. The number depends on effort, weight, height lifted, leverages and a host of other variables. Strength training is for increasing strength, flexibility and range of movement. Don't use it as a form of cardio.

The estimated Calories burned for strength training for any time period will be less than half as many estimated Calories as running at 5.0 mph, and it is about the same estimated Calories as walking at 3.0 mph.

If a person would log a purposeful walk that is not already included in their estimated MFP Activity Level, then they should log purposeful strength training.

The most incorrect estimate for Calories burned for strength training above a user's self-reported MFP Activity Level is zero.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    What device is supposed to be adding them?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    The estimated Calories burned for strength training for any time period will be less than half as many estimated Calories as running at 5.0 mph, and it is about the same estimated Calories as walking at 3.0 mph.

Just curious as to a source for lifting being about the same as walking. My watch (and I'm not saying it's accurate) gives me ~2/3's for lifting vs. walking (not a big difference as I'm comparing 30 mins of either).

Just curious is all.

• DevilsFan1
    Options

If a person would log a purposeful walk that is not already included in their estimated MFP Activity Level, then they should log purposeful strength training.

The most incorrect estimate for Calories burned for strength training above a user's self-reported MFP Activity Level is zero.

Nonsense. First you have to define what you mean by strength training. A 5x5 of heavy squats or deadlifts is in no way comparable to doing dumbbell curls. There are simply too many variables to consider when strength training to make an accurate estimate for calorie burn.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Nonsense. First you have to define what you mean by strength training. A 5x5 of heavy squats or deadlifts is in no way comparable to doing dumbbell curls. There are simply too many variables to consider when strength training to make an accurate estimate for calorie burn.

I can absolutely guarantee that the number burned isn't zero.
    Accuracy isn't actually required, just reasonable and the estimate on here is reasonable.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Just curious as to a source for lifting being about the same as walking. My watch (and I'm not saying it's accurate) gives me ~2/3's for lifting vs. walking (not a big difference as I'm comparing 30 mins of either).

Just curious is all.

Yeah I get about 2/3 for strength training vs walking, as measured by my Fitbit. Shocking, I know, to rely on it for such things! And yet here I am, slim and maintaining, eating what the gadget tells me to.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Sometimes logging out and logging back in to both the mobile apps and web app makes things synch properly. Or, at least, it does for me.
  • DevilsFan1
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Accuracy isn't actually required, just reasonable and the estimate on here is reasonable.

Where did I say it was zero? I said there's no good way to accurately estimate calories burned during strength training. If you want to guess a number, go ahead. But it's just a guess.

I don't ever log exercise calories. I think it's a waste of time and a recipe for ruining your weight loss plan. Too easy to overestimate. I use my caloric intake and my weight to determine if I'm in a deficit, at maintenance or in a surplus.
  • DevilsFan1
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

So in your opinion when faced with being unable to accurately estimate something your best bet is to assign a zero value to it?

Yes. I don't log exercise calories. 9 out of 10 people are probably burning fewer than 300 calories per session anyway. People almost always overestimate their calorie burn just as they almost always underestimate their caloric intake.

The best way to "track" exercise burn is to accurately track your weight and caloric intake to determine your TDEE. If your routine is relatively consistent from week to week, you will know how much you can eat and still stay in deficit or maintenance.

Granted, if you really want to know your calories burned, you can make relatively educated guesses doing cardio using a HRM while running or a power meter on a bike, but there are too many variables in strength training to get a number that's worth anything. You certainly don't want to try and determine a number that you can eat back. That's not going to work out well for you.
  • DevilsFan1
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Yeah...see, there's this cool thing you can do where you estimate cals burned as best you can, track over several weeks, then adjust based on real world results. Not rocket science.

But that's quite a bit different than what OP is asking. You are guessing and then adjusting the number based on what your caloric intake and weight tell you. That's a perfectly reasonable way to approach this. But most people don't do that. They look on a webpage to see how many calories are burned "weightlifting" and then use those numbers as a guide to tell them how much they can eat back. That's a recipe for failure.

Strength training is simply not an efficient way to burn a bunch of calories. The actual amount of time spent doing work is small. Most of the time is spent in recovery. Twenty minutes of 5x5 squats are usually about 17 minutes of rest. Strength training is for getting strong and fit, not for burning fat.
  • sijomial
    edited February 2018
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Where did I say it was zero? I said there's no good way to accurately estimate calories burned during strength training. If you want to guess a number, go ahead. But it's just a guess.

I don't ever log exercise calories. I think it's a waste of time and a recipe for ruining your weight loss plan. Too easy to overestimate. I use my caloric intake and my weight to determine if I'm in a deficit, at maintenance or in a surplus.

The two bold comments don't actually hang together!
    You don't count it as zero but you don't ever count them.......
    Actually it's an estimate not a guess, based on the METS values from studies. Yes it's a rough estimate though and clearly has flaws - better than a guess though and as the number is modest its impact on overall accuracy of a person's overall energy balance is very limited.

Not logging my exercise would have ruined my weight loss as I would have lost weight far too fast with all the negative impacts that an excessive deficit brings (loss of too much lean mass, low energy levels, decreased exercise performance and fitness, excessive hunger).
    Maintenance at goal weight would have been a choice between learning to estimate exercise calories from scratch or stopping exercise.
  • sijomial
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

So in your opinion when faced with being unable to accurately estimate something your best bet is to assign a zero value to it?

Yes. I don't log exercise calories. 9 out of 10 people are probably burning fewer than 300 calories per session anyway. People almost always overestimate their calorie burn just as they almost always underestimate their caloric intake.

The best way to "track" exercise burn is to accurately track your weight and caloric intake to determine your TDEE. If your routine is relatively consistent from week to week, you will know how much you can eat and still stay in deficit or maintenance.

Granted, if you really want to know your calories burned, you can make relatively educated guesses doing cardio using a HRM while running or a power meter on a bike, but there are too many variables in strength training to get a number that's worth anything. You certainly don't want to try and determine a number that you can eat back. That's not going to work out well for you.

9 out of 10 people are probably burning fewer than 300 calories per session anyway.
    Well as I only get 231 for an hour of strength training, which is probably an under estimate as vast majority of my lifts are the big compound lifts, it is 231 calories closer to reality than not logging.

The best way to "track" exercise burn is to accurately track your weight and caloric intake to determine your TDEE.
    The best way for SOME people - would agree with that. TDEE includes exercise calories remember, your body counts the calories even if you don't as part of the T (total) in TDEE.
    TDEE method certainly wouldn't be the best way for me and my highly variable exercise program and sometimes huge daily burns that need fuelling on the day, MFP eat back exercise calories method works very well for me.

You certainly don't want to try and determine a number that you can eat back. That's not going to work out well for you.
    Actually I did and it worked perfectly, lost weight at the expected rate eating back all my exercise calories. Do please remember that the very sensible feedback loop of making adjustments based on actual result trends isn't limited to the TDEE method.

Maybe some less sweeping generalisations would be appropriate? Not everyone has a consistent routine, some need to fuel on the day, some simply prefer a variable daily allowance, not everyone over-estimates exercise calories.....