Should I

Options
Should I lose belly fat before I try and build muscle?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Nope. Go for it.

:laugh:
  • 39andfat
    39andfat Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    @pootlepootle1972 my fat comes off belly as that's only place I have it.
  • sflano1271
    sflano1271 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    :D
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I think what you meant was should I work out and diet at the same time or lose the weight first?
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Start building muscle. It'll help speed up your metabolism.

Years ago when I previously lost weight and was at my fittest, things didn't speed up until I started incorporating weights. Hope this helps.
  • 39andfat
    Options
    I do weights and cardio but I don't want to eat the amount of carbs and protein to build muscle until I've lost fat first.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You still should be eating the amount of protein to maintain muscle. You likely won't build in a deficit, but you still don't want to be skinny fat at the end.

What are your stats?
  • 39andfat
    Options
    Yeah I eat enough protein and am building muscle at the same time as losing fat.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you can not dictate where fat comes off
  • betty_veronica4
    betty_veronica4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce (damn you, triceps). Period. I do suggest building strength training in - if nothing else, it is empowering. When you can feel those muscles? Instant motivation.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,766 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is of course what's needed to lose fat.

While in a calorie deficit, strength training helps us retain as much existing muscle as possible, get stronger, and look more firm/fit (especially as the fat layer begins to shrink away).

People who are new to strength training can sometimes gain a little muscle mass (actually grow new, additional muscle cells/fibers) at first alongside losing fat, but this is very limited. Think about it: Adding muscle weight means adding body weight. Losing fat means losing body weight. Adding body weight requires a calorie surplus. Losing body weight requires a calorie deficit. Very, very little of this is going to happen at one and the same time.

Strength training can make us stronger in a calorie deficit . . . often much stronger, pretty fast, at first. It's from neuromuscular adaptation, basically recruiting existing muscle cells/fibers more readily and using them more efficiently. And it can make us look better - firmer, more defined. Totally worth doing!