Down 85#, It’s all about insulin resistance

Options
wanderinjack
wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
edited February 2018 in Success Stories
Here's the short version of a long story. In 1995 I was 250# with over 35% body fat and those were the least of my health problems. What was more problematic is that I had fatty liver, leaky gut, an intestinal candida infection, diareaha every morning, was highly insulin resistant, had a rash all over my body. The worst part of it was that I was having great difficulty doing what I love most...long distance backpacking.

Since then I've done a lot of N=1 experiments. Got down to 215# and couldn't budge it with all the crossfit and weight watchers etc (getting divorced probably helped the most). The piece I was missing is the calories in calories out model doesn’t work as never has. The problem was insulin resistance. Went full keto in 2014 and got down to 175# and plateaued there even with doing 16:8 intermittent fasting (IF). Last fall I heard the first Obesity Code podcast and started doing extended fasts (EF). Now at 165, 19% body fat and according to Smart BMI I'm smack dab in the healthy zone. I'm 20# under what my drug lord (doc) said was my idea weight. Most importantly I can rock a long sierra trail and climb mt. shasta at will. I've lost 85# and feel great. To me that's a miracle.

I'm very grateful for Dr. Fung for helping me to solve that last piece of the puzzle and that group to have people I can share my success with. This is a really big deal and none of my friends get it. In some chances they literally roll their eyes at me so I just quite talking to them about one of the most significant things in my life. Which essentially means relationship over. I fully expect this will piss people off here but sharing my experience in hope that a few people with but a little dust in their eyes may benefit. Very sad about that. Like a recovered alcoholic who can't go to the bar anymore and hang out with his old buddies. It's time to move on. Meanwhile they're getting sicker and sicker, heart disease, kidney transplants, cancer, drugs, surgery ...very sad.

Replies

• wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    That’s my experience
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    ;) I have read several abstracts that state that his has shown some effects in mice, but definitively? You win. Statement withdrawn.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!