Why weighing is important (even for packaged food!)

Options
deannalfisher
deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
edited February 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Often newbies come to the forum asking about why they can’t lose weight and sometimes the following is said - I log and eat packaged food

Here is an example of why weighing is important:

I bought this thing of spinach gnocchi at Aldi the other night; according to the package it serves about 2 (picture 2)izqyhcwut98r.jpeg

But when I weighed it:
(dib4t3h8d6b6.jpeg

Pardon my mathing in public...507g/140g (serving size) is 3.6servings

So I would have eaten 80g more carbs than intended (320cal); excluding protein

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    WOW! This needs to be saved to refer to when people are having trouble losing weight but aren't weighing all their foods and going by package serving sizes.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    yep same with protein bars. I had one that said 60g or 65g it was almost 80g.

Ok that’s slightly terrifying
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Yep weigh everything!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I weighed all the items in one of my meals yesterday. My guesstimates were fairly good, but one item was way off. I'll be checking a few more during this week, but usually don't actually weigh everything.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    goatg wrote: »

which is why I weigh everything since packaged foods can be off by up to 20% . I have had things weigh less, but most of the time its more, very rarely is it right on.even stuff that isnt packaged can weigh more than its supposed to. 2 cuts of chicken breast can be the same size but can be different weights. for me weighing makes it easier to see how much Im really eating

I’m fastidious and I never thought I’d have to weigh a protein bar. Lesson....learned
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!!!! That is nuts! You have to love FDA label laws!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

which is why I weigh everything since packaged foods can be off by up to 20% . I have had things weigh less, but most of the time its more, very rarely is it right on.even stuff that isnt packaged can weigh more than its supposed to. 2 cuts of chicken breast can be the same size but can be different weights. for me weighing makes it easier to see how much Im really eating

I’m fastidious and I never thought I’d have to weigh a protein bar. Lesson....learned

yep I learned the hard way not weighing things. I lost weight and started gaining it back. couldnt understand why. came here,joined and someone told me to get a food scale and weigh everything. once I started doing that the weight started coming off again .I was using spoons and measuring cups. that I learned was a no no for dry,solid and semi solid foods
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

I'm sure most people wouldn't complain about getting more than they paid for and the label does say "about" 2 servings, so I doubt you could take them to court over it.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options

I'm going to weigh my next Kind Bar!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

I'm sure most people wouldn't complain about getting more than they paid for and the label does say "about" 2 servings, so I doubt you could take them to court over it.

nah those are just estimated serving sizes.so no court needed lol unless you have a lot of money to waste.but it is sometimes shocking when something says one size and its more. bread is another one.cereal is a sad one lol
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I expected it to be over but not by nearly double - lol
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

nah those are just estimated serving sizes.so no court needed lol unless you have a lot of money to waste.but it is sometimes shocking when something says one size and its more. bread is another one.cereal is a sad one lol

wow, I weigh my cereal, but not my bread! I guess I will start doing that! Thanks!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    That's enlightening and terrifying !
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

wow, I weigh my cereal, but not my bread! I guess I will start doing that! Thanks!

yeah weigh everything just for sh&ts and giggles and see how off things can be. its really to eat more than you think when you dont weigh food.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

It can be off by 20% per serving... on top of the inaccurate amount of servings in a package. So even one serving could really be 380 calories.

That's why a lot of people who eat packaged food can't lose.. not because it's bad, but because the calories can be way off.

ok yeah weighing will show you that though.wasnt saying packaged food was bad or that it wasnt off per serving. was saying bread and things like that can be off. which is why I said weigh everything.but most protein bars are usually one serving,
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Totally agree.
    I don’t even look at the serving size on packaged food, just the amounts per 100g