Getting rid of body fat

Options
niamhdean97
niamhdean97 Posts: 108 Member
edited February 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
What is the best way to do this. I am eating healthier as I know that it's 80% diet 20% exercise. But what type of exercises is best for this. I would love to loose lose body fat around my tummy and upper arms (but I know you can't pick an area to loose weight)

(Edited to say i don't have access to a gym so trying to do this at home)

Replies

• niamhdean97
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. My fitness pal says i should be eating 1530 calories a day but I finding it hard to keep to this and im eating healthy. I keep going over which is getting me down but I am still loosing weight. I just want to aid the process with working out too
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. My fitness pal says i should be eating 1530 calories a day but I finding it hard to keep to this and im eating healthy. I keep going over which is getting me down but I am still loosing weight. I just want to aid the process with working out too

If you are losing then your tracking is not accurate. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you are getting the results you want.
  • gtm197
    gtm197 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    In order to retain muscle and best improve your body composition as you lose, I would highly recommend resistance training. See this thread under bodyweight programs:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

There are also Fitnessblender (on YouTube), 30 Day Shred, Beachbody programs, etc. These are more cardio based but there is some resistance involved with some. Not as optimal as lifting for muscle preservation, but it depends on your goals.

Excellent advice.

• niamhdean97
    Options
    Thank you for the comments. I was just wondering what people thought about cardio or weight training being the best for loosing body fat and if anyone can recommend YouTube videos or dvds to help as im new to this
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Thank you for the comments. I was just wondering what people thought about cardio or weight training being the best for loosing body fat and if anyone can recommend YouTube videos or dvds to help as im new to this

Losing body fat comes down to sticking with your calorie deficit.

You can use cardio for health and or fitness related goals you have, it can help you with calorie deficit as well, Strength training will help you maintain your muscle mass as you continue to lose weight. When you get to goal weight or very close to it consider recomp for working on additional fat loss/building muscle to further your body composition/aesthetics goals.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

eta: I see the lifting link was already added to this thread.. sorry for double posting.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Is your body aware of the 80% diet? What if you can only reach 79% diet? Will you gain weight again?

Your body doesn't give a *kitten* what you do. As long as you're in a deficit. That is all that matters.
  • bhurley100
    bhurley100 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    In same boat... I am following 21 day fix extreme from Beach Body. I couldn't believe how much weight I lost. Also, my friends and family noticed how much more toned my body is too. Maybe try to follow a program like that.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Weight training helps body composition (retaining more muscle as you lose weight). Cardio burns more calories allowing you to eat more, which sounds important to you.

Bottom line is to do both, within reason. Find a lifting program that works for you (If I knew I could always get the rack at the Y I'd do strong lifts) and go for a run or something other days.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    From my experience, lifting weights/strength training will help take off those last stubborn pounds that everyone is always complaining about that never seem to fall off now matter how clean your diet is and how much cardio you do. The links posted above are awesome and will give you some great info! Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Neither one gets rid of body fat...a calorie deficit gets rid of body fat. There are tons of people who exercise regularly who are maintenance and not losing weight. You get rid of body fat when your calories coming in are less than your calories going out.

Regular exercise is good for you...both cardiovascular exercise and resistance training. There's an added bonus of additional energy expenditure, but for the most part it's fairly nominal relative to the calories you expend being alive and going about your day to day.

For your overall health and well being you should do both cardiovascular exercise and resistance training.