Home workouts

Options
I was in a really great routine going to five gym classes a week and feeling fantastic, then I got a promotion that total changed my work schedule and the gym doesn’t have classes available when I’m available so I’m trying to start a routine at home. I have 30 day shred and amazon prime so lots of choices but I hate to reinvent the wheel so I’m hoping some of you have great suggestions of videos you love. I like classes like Zumba and body attack if that helps :). So let me know what has worked for you at home and how do you combat the carpet vs hard floor of a gym? Oddly enough it seems to be harder on my knees which seems weird. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Replies

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Been there. I started a new job a year ago that absolutely killed my diet and workout routine.

I've used Fitnessblender.com for almost all of my video workouts. You can find them on YouTube for free, as well. They have programs you can purchase for small fees or just use their free stuff. I've really liked what they have to offer.

Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Carpet can be tough to manage, there seems to be more "drag" than on a bare floor. I lay puzzle mats down over my workout area. I don't know if the mat just reminds me to pick my feet up, or if there is actually less drag. Either way, I seem to have better luck.

YouTube has lots to offer. Jessica Smith TV is one of my favorites.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I used the puzzle mats for a while, but wasn't happy with how they shifted, I got a 6x6 yoga mat from amazon that I much prefer.

Carpet/rug will certainly irritate your knees, you'll want something that grips and slides more predictably like puzzle mats or a yoga mat.
  • veronicav0502
    veronicav0502 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Been there. I started a new job a year ago that absolutely killed my diet and workout routine.

I've used Fitnessblender.com for almost all of my video workouts. You can find them on YouTube for free, as well. They have programs you can purchase for small fees or just use their free stuff. I've really liked what they have to offer.

Good luck!

I concur... fitness blender is awesome. Youtube has lots of good stuff if you're not into fitness blender.
  • ctownson
    ctownson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Daily Burn 365 offers daily workouts at home live at 9 AM or you can watch them whenever you're free. They have other programs too like yoga, strength cardio, MMA, etc. They're only 30 minutes and need minimal equipment. I had the 1st month free and now I'm paying half price until April. Which goes up to $14.95 a month after that. You can stream on any of your devices or smart TV. They stress the importance of only doing what you can while still pushing yourself. Just as long as you keep moving!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I workout at home on carpet barefoot. I do stuff like Turbo Jam, Tae Bo, The Firm, Shaun T...I lift free weights at a gym, so my home workouts are mostly cardio, but I do some with dumbbells.
  • bhurley100
    bhurley100 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    A yoga mat will help. I am doing 21 day fix extreme. I got the dvd set from a friend. I love it! Its all I have.
  • Beeky_85
    Beeky_85 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I like Lesley Sansone’s 3 mile walk home work out as it incorporates aerobic moves and Joe Wicks Body Coach HIIT workouts.
  • JCo702
    JCo702 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Huge beach body on demand fan here! SO many workouts to choose from and it comes down to about $8 per month for all access. I'd love to help you choose the right program to start (i've tried almost every program)...they have a few dancing programs that require no equipment and you can do them from your own home! <3
  • dietitiansimona
    dietitiansimona Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello. The gym I started going to closed just as I was about to join for Zumba only classes. I really loved them. My fiancé found some classes online which lead me to www.dancefitwithjessica.com. I stream live classes and have access to archived classes for only 20 per month. She has videos posted on YouTube which will give you an idea of what her classes are like. There are a few different teachers, but I think Jessica is the best. She also sales DVD workouts and supplements . I really like doing the classes at home and I’m satisfied with the caliber of her classes.
  • dietitiansimona
    dietitiansimona Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Beeky_85 wrote: »
    I like Lesley Sansone’s 3 mile walk home work out as it incorporates aerobic moves and Joe Wicks Body Coach HIIT workouts.
    I like walk away the pounds also!!
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I cancelled my Fitness First gym membership around 6 weeks ago as I just wasn't getting to go enough, especially after having my third child last June.

When I started back getting serious about eating better and exercising in January we bought the Just Dance 2018 Nintendo Switch game and I began dancing almost daily either with the kids or by myself for at least an hour using sweat mode to roughly track calories burned. I lost many pounds doing that so decided to seriously look into working out at home more so I wouldn't have to leave the baby and juggle around my husband's own work and gym routine.

I signed up for Les Mills on demand and it's the best thing I've done for my fitness as I really only used to do classes in the gym and it's got a huge variety of my favourite body pump and body combat classes which I'd missed attending so much and so much more which I'm yet to explore! It's well worth the £9.99 a month which is less than half the cost of my gym membership.

I bought myself a barbell and weights for body pump and I alternate this with combat so I'm now working out six days a week with Sundays usually being my rest day. The music and trainers on the videos are so motivating and I don't really miss the class atmosphere.

I do however attend a soca combat class at my previous gym every other Monday evening on a pay as you go basis as I love the music, dimmed lighting and carnival atmosphere plus I find it particularly hard to motivate myself on Mondays for some reason :smiley: I see it as a treat to myself.

Loving working out at home now and feel that I've found a great balance. I particularly love it when my 7 year old son looks at me in awe lifting weights and says "keep going mum! You're doing great!" It keeps me going better than any rabid instructor shouting at the class ever did- haha!

• heatherjohnson1980
    heatherjohnson1980 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I second Fitness Blender. I'm LOVING their videos. Works well in my basement. I have a yoga mat for the floor stuff. I'm losing inches and building muscle. I can feel myself getting stronger and I can see noticable differences.
    Lots of different workouts so I don't get bored. Different videos for different needs, different length ones, too.

There is no music to the videos, just talking, but I open another YouTube tab and play workout playlists (also free) while the workout video is on. Makes me move a little faster!