10-15 to go great, but what about the tone?

Options
I have between 10 and 15 lbs to lose, mostly stomach and thighs and I want to maintain a long lean appearance which means I need some serious leg toning. I have an althetic build, 5'9" and am currently 187 lbs, goal weight is 175 lbs to start. I am looking for advice on ways to keep my workouts interesting, with my limitations, so I don't lose focus or worse reinjure myself.
-Veteran with chronic low back pain & knee pain (less than a year since knee surgery)
I do not want to put too much pressure on my joints for fear of reinjuring my knee.
Current workouts- Cardio Elliptical only
Core Training- Intervals of Pilates/Yoga/Free Weight Training- Minimal calf and leg press exercises
Suggestions are welcome and thanks!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    a structured strength training routine will help with 'toning up' but you'll probably want to get some input from a physio or PT given your limitations
  • OHammykins
    OHammykins Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Swimming and cycling are excellent workouts that are low impact on your knees. When my back gives me trouble I like to so my strength work outs from a supported, seated position.

But as the commenters above suggested, a physical therapist or a personal trainer is the safest way to go.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I too recommend seeing a physical therapist about strength training. You might be able to find a personal trainer who's a physical therapist.

Fortunately, looking "toned" is mostly from having low body fat. And no, fat loss cannot be targeted. Leg exercises don't slim the legs. For more on that, google "spot-reduction myth" :+1:
  • Fisah17
    Fisah17 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    All,

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. I am learning I need to manage my expectations and timeline to achieve my goals. I will look for a physical therapist that can help get me going on the right path.