Decision Time

Options
So I'm 23, 5'7 & nearly 13st. I don't look fat & I manage about 10k steps most days in the week (even though I have a desk job) by taking a 45 min walk at lunchtime and then walking around an hour to get home.

Unfortunately I'm not losing any weight although I can't say I'm surprised when I look at my diet. On a normal day I don't eat breakfast, I'll get a meal deal for lunch (drink being pepsi max) and then a four pack or two of chocolate. Then I'll probably skip dinner in favour of more chocolate and pepsi max.  The weekends are worse!

A member of my family has recently been diagnosed with diabetes which has made me really think about the amount of sugar I'm consuming on a daily basis and the fact I'm extremely lucky to not have diabetes (yet - I'm convinced its only a matter of time though)

With this in mind I have decided to cut out as much sugar from my diet as I can.

I don't drink coffee and never have sugar in my tea. I only drink alcohol a couple of times a month so that's not really a problem either.
My plan is as follows:
1. No chocolate/sweets/pastries etc.
2. No fizzy drinks
3. To take lunch to work every day to avoid the temptation of buying junk food when I'm buying lunch.
4. Plan & buy dinners for week so there's no need to stop at the shops on my way home

I am fully aware of the withdrawal symptoms I'm going to experience (having had these before from just one day of no junk food). Though I well never be prepared for them I am determined to face them head on to break this addiction.

I also know its rarely a good idea to just deny ourselves something as we usually just binge more. I am a total sugar addict though and honestly can't limit myself to just one chocolate bar a day. Having said that, if I end up having one choco bar in a week or a desert when going out for dinner (which I rarely do) I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

I'm looking forward to this challenge and will be keeping a diary to check check my progres. Thanks for reading and appreciate everybody's support :)

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I'm no fan if deprivation but realise for some people they feel the need to cut out something entirely.

The main thing is that you are planning already what changes you can make. That's a great start.

Log everything you eat accurately and consistently. Stay within your calorie allowance and you will lose. You're not too overweight given your height, aim for 1lb loss a week.

All the best.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who's telling you that it's the number of calories you consume (relative to the number of calories your body uses) that is important to weight loss, not the foods that the calories are packaged in.

However, assuming your "value meal" lunch is a burger or some other piece of meat on a bun or roll with fries/chips/crisps on the side, your diet up to this point sounds so low in vegetables, fruits, fiber, important micronutrients, and even protein that I don't want to discourage you from making some changes.

But you can do both. Make better choices about getting a wider variety of nutrient-dense food in your diet, and track your calories to make sure you're at a deficit to lose weight. Tracking on a site like MFP can also help you spot whether you're getting enough protein, fiber, and some micronutrients. It can also help you see if you have room to have a smaller or less frequent portion of the foods you enjoy now, assuming those aren't "trigger" foods that once you start, you won't stop.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you’re very aware, honest with yourself, and have a plan. This is great. You’re already way ahead of most people, when they start.

I have had sugar addiction issues too. May I make a suggestion that I’ve found very helpful? In addition to logging all triggers (food and otherwise), I find I make worse decisions when I’m hungry (or tempted, like you, by walking into stores) so I always make sure I have a healthy, filling snack or meal with me (PackIt will keep food cold for hours).
    Also, I keep 88% dark chocolate at home (but out of sight) and have some when I’m really having a craving. I do better when I eat it slowly, and when I make sure I’m not thirsty or hungry before eating it.

Also....personally, I know it’s hard, but I would recommend putting the weight loss goals at a backseat to the sugar addiction goals. At least, consider it if you find that a calorie deficit (or guilt) triggers you.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You're not losing weight because you are eating above maintenance even if you ate "clean" and "healthy" if you ate too much of those you'd still gain weight...sugar alone did not make you gain weight.

This. You just ate more than you burned.

Diabetes isn't caused by eating sugar...it's mainly genetic. Losing weight can absolutely help you avoid developing it in the future, but if you want some chocolate or some Pepsi Max? Work it into your goals. Make sure your entire diet doesn't consist of that, however.
  • timeforwork
    timeforwork Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Have found a mug of instant hot chocolate very usefull for my sugar cravings. Have found one that is 36 calories per mug and by having that I can resist a chocolate bar ( 100 calories plus) also helps with drinking more and feeling full. I don't substitute it for my proper meals though only sweet cravings as a way of keeping my calories lower.
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jelly works for me! 6 calories per pot and it fills a few gaps :)<3
  • bigjonb4116
    bigjonb4116 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    i found cutting things out totally has worked best for me-its been 25 months and over 12st lost -
    if you follow your plan as you state it- cutting out the junk and eating healthy in a calorie defecit you should see the results. good luck.
  • smalltalk85
    smalltalk85 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello. Good for you for recognizing and doing something about your health early.
    I had a severe sugar addiction... 1 gallon of
    Soda/fizzy drinks a day, chocolate bars after each meal and snacks. Cakes pies... oh my!
    This is how I beat my sugar addiction.
    I reduced the amount of fizzy drinks to one
    A day. Then i found a substitute. My favorite fizzy drink was Mt. Dew, my substitute was Coke zero then to unsweetened ice tea. Same with the chocolate. From sweet to dark choc.
    And fruit. You can still have Fizzy drinks
    And the chocolate you like... Just cut down.
    I haven't had a fizzy drink in about six months, chocolate intake very low and I hardly crave them. You can do it! If you
    Binge, get back up and go again. When
    I failed, I told myself... " Addiction won that battle but it won't win the war!" And it didn't!
    Take your time and ween yourself off. It
    Took me three years but here I am... 70 lbs
    Lighter and happy! Good luck!!! Oh... I stopped skipping meals. It was a trigger to binge.