coffee making me hungry

Options
Bad habit of starting the day off with coffee first instead of a water or herbal tea. I do get my breakfast in but it's not first. Having trouble getting rid of this habit. I think its raising my anxiety and making me hungry. I've been trying to research insulin resistance and coffee. I quit drinking alcohol 5 weeks ago. Not quite a morning person yet and disappointed that I'm not getting more energy throughout the day. Although today was better as I have appointments.

Anyone been through this?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    What are you putting in your coffee? If anything how much of it are you adding? There is nothing inherently bad about coffee since it is calorie free, but its usually the sweeteners added that can lead to problems. I drink black coffee every morning and have not had problems with hunger signals.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I drink decaf now, but I do find that if I use too much sugar I'm antsier and hungrier. I try to keep it to 1/3 teaspoon for each cup I pour.
  • Sebismom
    Sebismom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Is coffee making you jittery? I used to have a bad reaction to coffee with a sense of energy followed by a slump with low blood sugar. When I gave it up I immediately dropped almost ten pounds without even trying. I dropped the weight because I found that I didn't have to eat every 2-3 hours to keep my blood sugar in check. At that point I had switched to black tea (English breakfast is my tea of choice).

A few years ago, inspired by Michael Mosley's BBC documentaries, I decided to try intermittent fasting (5:2 plan) and since then I can drink coffee without getting an energy slump. I don't know that the order in which you drink your coffee or water would affect hunger, just make sure to get both in around breakfast time. If you love coffee, you might find that it's best to switch things up by going half-caffeine or having it 3 or 4 times a week instead of each day.

I know that I feel more sluggish, and more likely to drink coffee out of necessity rather than for enjoyment, when I haven't slept enough or when I'm not exercising regularly. So if you keep an eye on sleep and exercise maybe you'll be less likely to need the coffee. Getting enough sleep also keeps sugar cravings in check. Best of luck!
  • mcfish618
    mcfish618 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ever tried Kombucha tea? It can be an acquired taste but it gives me so much more energy. Yes it has some calories (50 per glass jar) but also good for your tummy and never makes me feel jittery.