I’m I supposed to eat my exercise calories back ??

Options
Hi everyone like 2 weeks ago I started exercising more. I’m 5’4 and I weigh 182 MFP tells me 1200 calories. I was hungry all the time so I started to eat some of my excercise calories but this past week I have been ok with 1200 Calories is that ok ???

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should eat back exercise cals
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    goatg wrote: »
    No more than half

This is not always true. I ate all mine back. Every one. But I was also conservative.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone like 2 weeks ago I started exercising more. I’m 5’4 and I weigh 182 MFP tells me 1200 calories. I was hungry all the time so I started to eat some of my excercise calories but this past week I have been ok with 1200 Calories is that ok ???

Yes, that is how MFP is designed to work. The target is set based on your stats, your desired rate of loss, and your activity level excluding exercise. When you do exercise, you are supposed to eat back a portion of those - some people start with about 50-75% of the calorie estimate in case it is overestimated.

That said... 1200 cals is the bare minimum and most people don’t need to go that low in order to lose. It’s important to find a calorie target that enables you to get adequate nutrition, feel satiated, and maybe leave room for treats if you like, in moderation.

How much weight are you trying to lose?
    What rate of loss did you select?

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation/p1

^ Excellent video explaining the concept of exercise calories and discussing whether you should eat them back or not. Worth the time to watch.
  • whocares2018
    whocares2018 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I’ve been wondering the same thing! 4 years ago I lost 30 pounds I have since put it all back on. It seems 4 years ago my weight came off faster and I think because I was eating my exercise calories back....the struggle is real lol. Thanks everyone I enjoy reading the comments gives me great ideas!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,517 Member
    Options
    Have you set mfp to lose 2lbs per week? That might be far too agressive for your current weight. If you reduce that goal you will get more calories to play with.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you're only eating 1200 cals per day, you should be eating at least most of your exercise cals back.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    If you are accurately tracking the calories in and also the calories burned, then yes you should eat them back. The problem I see with my friends is they give themselves way too high if a calorie burn or they are under estimating they're calorie intake or both which causes the equation to be lopsided.
  • hughesma102
    hughesma102 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The wording "eating my exercise calories" makes me giggle. But anyways, I tend to eat at least half back. They are delicious.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    No more than half

This really depends on how accurate you're estimate of calories out is. Half is fairly arbitrary but probably good enough for someone who doesn't want to go through the trouble of getting a more accurate estimate.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Larryfahn wrote: »
    Burn saturated fat and carbs. Replace them with protein and healthy fats.

How do you propose you only burn off calories from certain macronutrients? How would your body know, when running, or swimming, or hiking - what part of your intake you are burning?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    No more than half

This is not always true. I ate all mine back. Every one. But I was also conservative.

If you work out hours after your last meal, sure. If you train for two + hours on no fuel, maybe

Nothing is always true but it was my nutritionists’ suggestion for me and it seems pretty reasonable

I ate all mine back (after estimating conservatively), routinely ate shortly before workouts (fasted cardio is not for me ;) . . . nor fasted strength either), and lost at a faster rate than MFP predicted. Consequently, I don't think eating before workouts or eating all the exercise calories are universal weight loss Doom.

I usually suggest people start with 59%, and adjust (up or down) based on their own actual results based on 4-6 weeks.

But I'd never tell someone to stop doing what works for them personally - as long as it's not grossly unhealthy, anyway.