Plateau! Help!

Options
Hi, so I have lost 40 lbs since August.but now I'm stuck. I can't seem to break below 169-- but I haven't gained either been this way about 3 weeks. Everyone says I need to eat more, so I've been trying. I have been eating about 1300-1400 a day. Ok doing the high protein low sugar do is hard to find things that won't max me out on sugar. Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Hazel0017 wrote: »
    Hi, so I have lost 40 lbs since August.but now I'm stuck. I can't seem to break below 169-- but I haven't gained either been this way about 3 weeks.
    When you become lighter, maximum/optimal weightloss inevitably slows down.
    Everyone says I need to eat more, so I've been trying.
    Everyone doesn't say that, thankfully. If you aren't losing, you have to eat less.
    I have been eating about 1300-1400 a day.
    That should most likely produce weightloss, if it's 1300-1400 real calories. Too easy to underestimate. Use a food scale.
    Ok doing the high protein low sugar do is hard to find things that won't max me out on sugar. Anyone have any ideas?
    Don't do high protein low sugar?
  • jimbosimbo43
    jimbosimbo43 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Is "starvation mode" a myth then? I hear if you go to low your body preserves it's fat.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Is "starvation mode" a myth then? I hear if you go to low your body preserves it's fat.

Yes it’s a myth
  • Hazel0017
    Hazel0017 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I burned 2527 calories and are 1400 so how am I not losing? Do now I'm not supposed to eat more?
  • malibu927
    Options
    Yesterday I burned 2527 calories and are 1400 so how am I not losing? Do now I'm not supposed to eat more?

How are you measuring those 1400 calories? On a food scale? In measuring cups? Eyeballing portions? If you aren’t losing, its most likely because you’re eating more than you think.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Hi, so I have lost 40 lbs since August.but now I'm stuck. I can't seem to break below 169-- but I haven't gained either been this way about 3 weeks. Everyone says I need to eat more, so I've been trying. I have been eating about 1300-1400 a day. Ok doing the high protein low sugar do is hard to find things that won't max me out on sugar. Anyone have any ideas?
    Wait so you ate less and then at some point ate more? That could explain the plateau.
  • jimbosimbo43
    jimbosimbo43 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

27fb5jel7y2m.jpg
    https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

haha - very good!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I didn't see an answer to the food scale question, OP.

Check out this thread. It shows why a food scale is so helpful to weight loss.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hi, so I have lost 40 lbs since August.but now I'm stuck. I can't seem to break below 169-- but I haven't gained

Are you absolutely on point with weighing/logging? How long have you been in a calorie deficit? Have you ever taken a diet break during your weight loss?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

either been this way about 3 weeks. Everyone says I need to eat more, so I've been trying. I have been eating about 1300-1400 a day. Ok doing the high protein low sugar do is hard to find things that won't max me out on sugar. Anyone have any ideas?

Eating more is not the answer. Understanding what a plateau is will help you break through it.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Plateaus-Sep-2014-AARR.pdf

• tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options

First, as other have said, how are you measuring your intake, are you logging and using scales, Alison, how are you measuring your expenditure?
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Ask anyone who has starved to death or near death. There is a preferred order your body has for utilizing tissues for energy when food consumption is too low... sometimes it uses a combination of tissues, not just one.

Starvation mode is totally bull.
  • Hazel0017
    Options
    Yes I log my food I use the scanning method. Yes I use the scales. No I have not taken a break from the"diet" it's not really a"diet". I'm just trying to teach myself how to eat healthier. I was never taught to eat or be healthy.it was eat what and how much you want.
  • Hazel0017
    Options
    I just want to get unstuck!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    azw6j1j1yvlm.jpg
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Yes I log my food I use the scanning method. Yes I use the scales. No I have not taken a break from the"diet" it's not really a"diet". I'm just trying to teach myself how to eat healthier. I was never taught to eat or be healthy.it was eat what and how much you want.

Weigh everything you scan. Pre-portioned food is often not exact to the label (think cheese slices, bread slices, etc).
  • malibu927
    Options
    Do you mind opening your diary? We can easier spot some other logging errors that way.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

27fb5jel7y2m.jpg
    https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

I love that guy's website...he explains the starvation in details here https://aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,645 Member
    Options

How are you estimating or measuring your calorie burn?